Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Weak contribution to levelset interface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I would like to add a weak contribution (for surface tension) to a moving levelset interface for the following application:
I want to model a fluid with a free surface, on which there should be a mass source. The fluid surface is deformed by fluid flow and surface tension.

I already tried to model this with a moving mesh approach but these simulations did not run stable enough, if ever. Furthermore I thought about two-phase-laminar-flow. Here a surface tension at the interface is possible, but no mass source.

That's why I decided to track the interface between air and fluid with levelset. Here I can define: interface velocity = fluid velocity + velocity representing the mass source

Does anyone know how to add a weak contribution to a moving levelset interface? Or is there another way to implement the surface tension (for example how is it realized in the two-phase-laminar-flow)?

I would be very happy if anyone could help me!

6 Replies Last Post 27 lug 2016, 11:13 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Florian Wirth

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 10 years ago 13 nov 2014, 11:19 GMT-5
www.cn.comsol.com/model/boiling-water-3972

This is a model may help you.
http://www.cn.comsol.com/model/boiling-water-3972 This is a model may help you.

Posted: 10 years ago 13 nov 2014, 12:53 GMT-5
Thank you, I will have a look at it. Meanwhile I have solved the problems, which were the reason, why I wanted to switch to the level set method. But nevertheless, this method will be interesting for another problem I want to simulate.
Thank you, I will have a look at it. Meanwhile I have solved the problems, which were the reason, why I wanted to switch to the level set method. But nevertheless, this method will be interesting for another problem I want to simulate.

Posted: 8 years ago 4 lug 2016, 01:18 GMT-4
Hii Florian Wirth ;
Can you tell me how u have added weak contribution for tension in model , I think I have similar kind of problem .

Thanks.
Hii Florian Wirth ; Can you tell me how u have added weak contribution for tension in model , I think I have similar kind of problem . Thanks.

Posted: 8 years ago 4 lug 2016, 03:45 GMT-4
Do you want to use level-set or a moving mesh?
Do you want to use level-set or a moving mesh?

Posted: 8 years ago 27 lug 2016, 08:36 GMT-4
Hi all,

could anyone please post the "Boiling Water" model since this was no longer available via the link above.

Many thanks
Marcel
Hi all, could anyone please post the "Boiling Water" model since this was no longer available via the link above. Many thanks Marcel

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 27 lug 2016, 11:13 GMT-4
Hello Marcel,
Models developed by COMSOL are copyrighted to COMSOL and may not be redistributed without permission. Please contact your COMSOL representative for any COMSOL-developed model you need.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Marcel, Models developed by COMSOL are copyrighted to COMSOL and may not be redistributed without permission. Please contact your COMSOL representative for any COMSOL-developed model you need. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.