Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error in Meshing and computing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm working in the wave optics->EM waves, beam envelope module, in 3D.

Attached is the geometry of the model I'm trying to use. It's based on 2 of the comsol models available - directional coupler and mach zehder interferometer.

I have an issue with either meshing or solving that I can't seen to find the source for, and I'd really appreciate any guidance or direction in the matter. Thanks in advance.

I've tried 3 different directions, non of which worked,

1. creating a mesh of "Free Triangular" over port 1&2, and sweeping it, using the swept option, over the rest of the geometry. In which case I encounter the error message "Unsupported topology of linking faces". I don't really understand what that means or how to solve the issue.

2. creating a mesh over the entire geometry using the "Free Tetrahedral" option. In this case I am able to create the mesh, but the file becomes stupendously large, and solving it becomes impossible. Trying to compute it I never succeed and receive various errors regarding memory, for instance "Out of memory during assembly" as well as others.

3. creating a mesh over the upper edge of port 1&2, mapping it over the upper boundary of the geometry (which was successful up to this point), but when I tried to sweep it over the rest of the geometry, again I encountered an error similar to the failure of #1.

I'd really appreciate any assistance in the matter. thanks in advance,

Tom.

0 Replies Last Post 22 lug 2014, 10:30 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tom Weiss

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.