Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

My first PDE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi , we are two undergraduates students who are trying to solve a system of five PDE's in COMSOL.
We have been able to do this in MATLAB but are unable to achieve this in COMSOL. To start of we tried to implement a simple diffusion PDE using the coefficient PDE solver. We have troubles simulating our system. Can someone explain why?
SPECIFICS
-Geometry: 100 mm^2
-Coefficients: C = 4.9*10^-6, da = -1, all other 0.
-intial value: 1*10^7
- boundary: Dirchlets r = 0 for all
- normal mesh, fine
Then we used the study tool (time dependent) and solved for time (0,1,10).
Error: "Differential-algebraic equation encountered. Use Singular mass matrix = Yes.."

3 Replies Last Post 5 set 2014, 17:36 GMT-4
Mehrdad Shahmohammadi Beni

Posted: 10 years ago 12 ago 2014, 03:13 GMT-4
Hi

Can you give me more info about your problem, If it is possible show me your PDEs that you would like to solve so I can check step by step.

Regards.

Ben.
Hi Can you give me more info about your problem, If it is possible show me your PDEs that you would like to solve so I can check step by step. Regards. Ben.

Posted: 10 years ago 12 ago 2014, 04:34 GMT-4
Hi Ben,

Thank you for your interest in our problem. As for now we have managed to get some guidence from elsewhere but it can't hurt to get a second look at it! I have attached a PDF-document in this reply which is explaining our model and containing our PDE's.

Best regards,

Oliver
Hi Ben, Thank you for your interest in our problem. As for now we have managed to get some guidence from elsewhere but it can't hurt to get a second look at it! I have attached a PDF-document in this reply which is explaining our model and containing our PDE's. Best regards, Oliver

Posted: 10 years ago 5 set 2014, 17:36 GMT-4
Hi Oliver,

I am running into a similar problem with my PDE interface. What sort of answers did you get/where did you get them in solving your problem?

Thanks,
Trevor
Hi Oliver, I am running into a similar problem with my PDE interface. What sort of answers did you get/where did you get them in solving your problem? Thanks, Trevor

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.