Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dielectric slab example file

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I have a few questions about the boundary mode analysis in a dielectric slab (which is also given as an example file in the model library).

1) In this model the slab can only propagate single mode (TE0), yet when "desired number of modes " is more than one in the boundary mode analysis, it finds more than one propagation constants. One of them is the desired propagation constant with respect to the selected frequency corresponding to the single mode's solution. I don't really understand what are the other values I get. Are they propagation constants of radiate modes?

2) I've sketched a wider waveguide which supports more than one mode, and I calculated the corresponding propagation constants. Then I used frequency domain to plot the modes in the waveguide, however I can plot just one mode. I dont have different solutions in the "results" for different propagation constants of the same frequency. so which solution does it plot? and also how can I plot the other modes?

Thanks,
Arie.

0 Replies Last Post 19 ago 2014, 04:35 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Arie Weiss

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.