Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromagnet (Electromagnetic needle)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model an "electromagnetic needle" that is relatively simple, but I want to be able to adjust parameters and optimize geometry, There will be somewhere in the range of 1,000 turns of copper wire around a Permalloy core with a sharp tip extending out of one end of the coil.

I am wondering if anyone has recommendations about setting up the coil. I tried creating a helix with a 1000 turns, but then realized that there is a multiple turn coil option in the magnetic fields physics.

Any advice or pointers towards videos or other helpful resources would be of great help. This is my first time using COMSOL, so I am having a lot of difficulty. See attached file for my progress so far

2 Replies Last Post 22 ott 2014, 08:43 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daniel Murphy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 10 years ago 22 ott 2014, 08:31 GMT-4
I'm just trying to create an electromagnet and i started trying to use a helix, but the meshing was impossible. I went with a multi-turn coil domain like in the e-core example.

My numbers still aren't realistic because I have issues with high frequency excitation.
I'm just trying to create an electromagnet and i started trying to use a helix, but the meshing was impossible. I went with a multi-turn coil domain like in the e-core example. My numbers still aren't realistic because I have issues with high frequency excitation.

Posted: 10 years ago 22 ott 2014, 08:43 GMT-4
I'm just trying to create an electromagnet and i started trying to use a helix, but the meshing was impossible. I went with a multi-turn coil domain like in the e-core example.

My numbers still aren't realistic because I have issues with high frequency excitation.
I'm just trying to create an electromagnet and i started trying to use a helix, but the meshing was impossible. I went with a multi-turn coil domain like in the e-core example. My numbers still aren't realistic because I have issues with high frequency excitation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.