Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

fluid flux with dilute species model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey all,

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I cannot seem to make a simple fluid flux across an arbitrary boundary work. My model consists of a container with a fixed amount of solute, and a C=0 boundary on one side. How do I get ahold of the normal variable names to generate a surface integration along a boundary of my choice? I can make a cut line or cut plane, but I don't see a way to get the plot I need.

Thanks,

John

3 Replies Last Post 7 ott 2014, 14:20 GMT-4

Posted: 10 years ago 7 ott 2014, 01:48 GMT-4
You mean the convection across a particular cut plane? If the model is 3D, the velocity components are u,v, and w. Just integrate u+v+w across the plane.

If the flux is diffusive, integrate D*(cx+cy+cz) where D is the diffusion coefficient and c is the concentration of the diffusing species. It is true, as you said, that using the internal Comsol variables produces an ambiguous error message, but the latter worked for me, at least.

You mean the convection across a particular cut plane? If the model is 3D, the velocity components are u,v, and w. Just integrate u+v+w across the plane. If the flux is diffusive, integrate D*(cx+cy+cz) where D is the diffusion coefficient and c is the concentration of the diffusing species. It is true, as you said, that using the internal Comsol variables produces an ambiguous error message, but the latter worked for me, at least.

Posted: 10 years ago 7 ott 2014, 14:13 GMT-4
Thanks. No, I just want diffusive flux for this model.

What I ended up doing was just taking a surface integration (under derived values) using the default expression for total flux magnitude, at a cut plane of my choice I established after solution. This gives me a flux at each time point... for total flux for a given time span, I suppose I just sum these together?
Thanks. No, I just want diffusive flux for this model. What I ended up doing was just taking a surface integration (under derived values) using the default expression for total flux magnitude, at a cut plane of my choice I established after solution. This gives me a flux at each time point... for total flux for a given time span, I suppose I just sum these together?

Posted: 10 years ago 7 ott 2014, 14:20 GMT-4
I understood that you wished exactly that, flux across a predefined cut-plane.
I understood that you wished exactly that, flux across a predefined cut-plane.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.