Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inverted mesh near coordinates with boundary layer mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In my test model, I used boundary layer mesh to solve a navier-stokes + convection-diffusion problem. But I get such error from beginning. Any ideas?

3 Replies Last Post 21 apr 2010, 16:46 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 apr 2010, 15:24 GMT-4
Hi

"Inverted mesh" means that the mesh quality is so low that when the parts/mesh deforms the higher order element functions used ends up inverting the topology representation of the element (it becomes inside-out). Thereofre the warning taht COMSOL uses linear elements, hat allows to continue to get some results, but with lower quality.

So either your starting mesh is "bad" (check the mesh statistics and plot the mesh quality) and it does not allow to survive with the deformations, or you ahve i.e. an ALE application with (too) large displacements. CMSOL organises a full day couse on ALE and meshing, and it's not really a lot, taking into account all the possibilities and things to consider.

When you use boundary meshes the mes density is very high and often their shape is inhomogenous (i.e. long and thin" therefore I'm not astonished that for larger deformations, one get easily problems in these regions

Good luck
Ivar
Hi "Inverted mesh" means that the mesh quality is so low that when the parts/mesh deforms the higher order element functions used ends up inverting the topology representation of the element (it becomes inside-out). Thereofre the warning taht COMSOL uses linear elements, hat allows to continue to get some results, but with lower quality. So either your starting mesh is "bad" (check the mesh statistics and plot the mesh quality) and it does not allow to survive with the deformations, or you ahve i.e. an ALE application with (too) large displacements. CMSOL organises a full day couse on ALE and meshing, and it's not really a lot, taking into account all the possibilities and things to consider. When you use boundary meshes the mes density is very high and often their shape is inhomogenous (i.e. long and thin" therefore I'm not astonished that for larger deformations, one get easily problems in these regions Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 apr 2010, 15:43 GMT-4
Thank you Ivar. Indeed, it is as you said. However, I am solving N-S and C-D, so no movement still. I will check your initial mesh suggestion anyway.
Thank you Ivar. Indeed, it is as you said. However, I am solving N-S and C-D, so no movement still. I will check your initial mesh suggestion anyway.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 apr 2010, 16:46 GMT-4
Hi

Then check carefully your geometry, you might have some small features that are badly meshed, if its a CAD geometry, you could run the defeaturing/repair analysis (it should be under "draw" I beleive, I'm at home no Comsol here to check;)
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Then check carefully your geometry, you might have some small features that are badly meshed, if its a CAD geometry, you could run the defeaturing/repair analysis (it should be under "draw" I beleive, I'm at home no Comsol here to check;) Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.