Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Far-filed calculation of scattered light in substrate-air domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi COMSOL users,

I hope somebody help me on this,

I would like to know a few clarifications about COMSOL far-filed calculation in Wave Optics module.
1. If I study 4.4 waveoptics module user guide, it says, "far-field is calculated in free-space". Does not it work for other homogeneous material medium, for example Glass?
2. Even in free space medium, Do I have to define full enclosed boundary to calculate the far-field?. (If I read about scatton-chu formula, a closed boundary is defined for antenna field calculation). Does COMSOL consider this as it is?. If I defined a part of circle with scatterer at its center in free space (in 2D) and integrate this boundary to incorporate collection lens effect of a particular NA, Can I expect correct results?
3. I have read the thesis in following link for for field calculation. He implemented far-field calculation with COMSOL 3.4 in material medium with a little modification with Matlab code. (Please see appendix section, if you have time). He also explained boundary shadowing problem, if far-field domain does not have radiation source and scatterer. Can I know any improvements is comsol 4.4 version on this far-field limitations in comsol? or I have to go my own modification in far-field calculations?
core.kmi.open.ac.uk/download/pdf/99111.pdf
4. Does Scatterer has to be at center of far-field closed boundary always for correct results?. In my case, scatterer moves, similar to scanning microscopy. If it has to be at center of enclosed boundary, I am thinking to move enclosed boundary also with scatterer such that scatterer is always center to closed boundary. Right now, I am moving only scatterer, and I am not getting microscopy profiles as I want.

I would be thankful if anybody share his/her experience on this.

Thanks
Mahendar

0 Replies Last Post 3 nov 2014, 06:56 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mahendar Kumbham

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.