Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Geometry - positioning new objects using existing points

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

When positioning newly created geometric objects in a workplane is it possible to directly use measured data points for position points? For example, say I have an existing square in a workplane, I create a new square, and I want that new square's corner to be at the same position as one of the corners of the existing square. I can use the measure tool to find the position of the corner of the existing square and manually enter that data into the position fields of the new square, but is there anyway to do this without having to manually find the position data and copy and paste it into the new position fields? When positioning a new object, I want to be able to click on existing point of my geometry and have that data populate the position fields of the new object.

Hopefully my explanation makes sense. Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 10 dic 2014, 01:58 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 10 dic 2014, 01:58 GMT-5
Hi
I do not know of any way, this is a "feature" I have suggested for quite some years, but it seems difficult to implement, because usually COMSOL are good to introduce our suggestions.
But perhaps if we are more to send a suggestion mail to support it might arrive once.

But in the geometry we have at least the "measure" so with a few clicks its possible to catch the values, but its not very efficient when one have many points to catch.

When doing hand drawings of shapes, normally there is a "snap" on existing points in the geoemtry

It the same for the graphs in the post processing, it would be nice to be able to click copy/paste values of curves

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not know of any way, this is a "feature" I have suggested for quite some years, but it seems difficult to implement, because usually COMSOL are good to introduce our suggestions. But perhaps if we are more to send a suggestion mail to support it might arrive once. But in the geometry we have at least the "measure" so with a few clicks its possible to catch the values, but its not very efficient when one have many points to catch. When doing hand drawings of shapes, normally there is a "snap" on existing points in the geoemtry It the same for the graphs in the post processing, it would be nice to be able to click copy/paste values of curves -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.