Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laminar Counter-flow in Concentric Pipes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. I'm relatively new to COMSOL and I've been trying to model a simple counter-flow through concentric double-pipes. Currently, I have the model in a 2-D axisymmetric configuration and three domains: fluid, wall, fluid. I have water in both pipes and copper as the pipe wall. The outer pipe is flowing at a higher temperature than the inner pipe, and both are using water just to keep things simple. The outer pipe is supplied a constant temperature on it's surface.

I just learned that there is a new feature since version 4.3 where a domain is no longer needed to be created to define a thing wall. However, let's say I want to keep the wall. How would I handle the wall? Would I have to select another physics (Heat Transfer in Solids) along with Heat Transfer in Fluids? What options of boundary conditions can I apply to the wall and which physics?

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

6 Replies Last Post 17 dic 2014, 15:28 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 17 dic 2014, 08:33 GMT-5
Hello Van,
If your license includes either the CFD Module or the Heat Transfer Module (or both), there is a physics interface for Conjugate Heat Transfer that greatly simplifies setting up this sort of analyses - See screenshot and also www.comsol.com/products/specifications/heat-transfer/.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Van, If your license includes either the CFD Module or the Heat Transfer Module (or both), there is a physics interface for Conjugate Heat Transfer that greatly simplifies setting up this sort of analyses - See screenshot and also http://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/heat-transfer/. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 10 years ago 17 dic 2014, 13:19 GMT-5
Thanks for your response, Jeff. Unfortunately, my university only has the Heat Transfer in Solids and Heat Transfer in Fluids modules. Is there a way to simulate this program with those two modules?
Thanks for your response, Jeff. Unfortunately, my university only has the Heat Transfer in Solids and Heat Transfer in Fluids modules. Is there a way to simulate this program with those two modules?

Posted: 10 years ago 17 dic 2014, 13:57 GMT-5
Hello Van,
There are no modules by those names.
To determine what modules the license includes, go to the File>Licensed and Used Products window (in recent versions) or Options>Licenses (in older versions).
Best,
Jeff
Hello Van, There are no modules by those names. To determine what modules the license includes, go to the File>Licensed and Used Products window (in recent versions) or Options>Licenses (in older versions). Best, Jeff

Posted: 10 years ago 17 dic 2014, 14:14 GMT-5
Oops. I didn't mean modules; I meant physics. The university has the COMSOL Multiphysics with only Heat Transfer in Solids and Heat Transfer in Fluids physics.
Oops. I didn't mean modules; I meant physics. The university has the COMSOL Multiphysics with only Heat Transfer in Solids and Heat Transfer in Fluids physics.

Posted: 10 years ago 17 dic 2014, 15:20 GMT-5
OK, it sounds like your license does not currently include either of the CFD Module or Heat Transfer Module, which means you will have to couple the physics "by hand".
OK, it sounds like your license does not currently include either of the CFD Module or Heat Transfer Module, which means you will have to couple the physics "by hand".

Posted: 10 years ago 17 dic 2014, 15:28 GMT-5
How would I couple a fluid and the wall? Is it a boundary condition under Heat Transfer in Fluids?
How would I couple a fluid and the wall? Is it a boundary condition under Heat Transfer in Fluids?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.