Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

The periodic boundary condition and PML question about COMOL 4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey Guys?

The first question is In COMSOL 3.5a, the periodic boundary condition can be express as u in the source and U*exp(i*k*a?in the destination, but it doesn't works in COMSOL4.

The other quesiton is the PML can be defined in Structural Moudule in COMSOL 3.5a, But it also can not works in COMSOL 4.

Anyone konws how to figure out these questions.

Best regards.

12 Replies Last Post 7 mag 2014, 07:38 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mag 2010, 06:49 GMT-4

Hey Guys?
The first question is In COMSOL 3.5a, the periodic boundary condition can be express as u in the source and U*exp(i*k*a?in the destination, but it doesn't works in COMSOL4.

Hi,
in an effort to make the interface more clean and easy to use,
the periodic boundary conditions in 4.0 is used for pure periodic or antiperiodic conditions. What you outline can be done with a Model Coupling, found under Definitions.

The other quesiton is the PML can be defined in Structural Moudule in COMSOL 3.5a, But it also can not works in COMSOL 4.

PMLs in solid mechanics will be added in the 4.0a release, available soon.
Niklas Rom, COMSOL

[QUOTE] Hey Guys? The first question is In COMSOL 3.5a, the periodic boundary condition can be express as u in the source and U*exp(i*k*a?in the destination, but it doesn't works in COMSOL4. [/QUOTE] Hi, in an effort to make the interface more clean and easy to use, the periodic boundary conditions in 4.0 is used for pure periodic or antiperiodic conditions. What you outline can be done with a Model Coupling, found under Definitions. [QUOTE] The other quesiton is the PML can be defined in Structural Moudule in COMSOL 3.5a, But it also can not works in COMSOL 4. [/QUOTE] PMLs in solid mechanics will be added in the 4.0a release, available soon. Niklas Rom, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mag 2010, 07:16 GMT-4
Thanks for your reply!

about the periodic boundary condition,how to use modle coupling to achieve this work, u in the source and U*exp(i*G*a) in the destination. Can you send me a simple example, I'll really appreciate it.
Thanks for your reply! about the periodic boundary condition,how to use modle coupling to achieve this work, u in the source and U*exp(i*G*a) in the destination. Can you send me a simple example, I'll really appreciate it.

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 giu 2010, 20:17 GMT-4
Hi,
I am new to migrant to COMSOL 4. I am also interested with this skill.
I have tried to realize it by model coupling, but I failed. I could not find somewhere to input my condition equation, for example I want to write u1=u0+4*L1.
Is there some examples to this problem.
It is not easy to understand it in new version of comsol.
Thanks a lot for your attention
Hi, I am new to migrant to COMSOL 4. I am also interested with this skill. I have tried to realize it by model coupling, but I failed. I could not find somewhere to input my condition equation, for example I want to write u1=u0+4*L1. Is there some examples to this problem. It is not easy to understand it in new version of comsol. Thanks a lot for your attention

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 dic 2010, 21:51 GMT-5
Hi,

I am also interested in this topic. Can anybody elaborate how I can implement arbitrary boundary condition equations?
Hi, I am also interested in this topic. Can anybody elaborate how I can implement arbitrary boundary condition equations?

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 gen 2011, 05:32 GMT-5
Hi Guys,

did anyone of you have solved this already? I am also stuck with the same problem.

thanks,
kodanda
Hi Guys, did anyone of you have solved this already? I am also stuck with the same problem. thanks, kodanda

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 lug 2011, 10:21 GMT-4
Anybody ever answer this as I have the same issue, which modal coupling do you use?
Anybody ever answer this as I have the same issue, which modal coupling do you use?

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 lug 2011, 12:01 GMT-4
This is the response I got from COMSOL support:

We are currently working on implementing Floquet-type periodic boundary
conditions also for solid mechanics, but it is not yet certain when this
will be available. However, it is indeed possible to set up Floquet
conditions with a few extra steps. Here is how:

First you must create a linear extrusion coupling from one of the periodic
boundaries to the other. Linear extrusions are available in under the model
definitions in the Model Builder.

Then, create a pointwise constraint for each dependent variable you want to
have periodicity for. In
order to add a pointwise constraint, you must first have "advanced Physics
Interface Options" active in the "Show" menu.

A normal periodic boundary condition would have the following
expressions:

Constrain expression:
linext1(u)-u

Constraint force expression:
test(linext1(u)-u)

However, with Floquet boundary conditions, you must include a phase shift
in the expressions:

Constraint expression:
linext1(u)-u*exp(i*phase_shift)

test(linext1(u)*exp(i*phase_shift)-u)
This is the response I got from COMSOL support: We are currently working on implementing Floquet-type periodic boundary conditions also for solid mechanics, but it is not yet certain when this will be available. However, it is indeed possible to set up Floquet conditions with a few extra steps. Here is how: First you must create a linear extrusion coupling from one of the periodic boundaries to the other. Linear extrusions are available in under the model definitions in the Model Builder. Then, create a pointwise constraint for each dependent variable you want to have periodicity for. In order to add a pointwise constraint, you must first have "advanced Physics Interface Options" active in the "Show" menu. A normal periodic boundary condition would have the following expressions: Constrain expression: linext1(u)-u Constraint force expression: test(linext1(u)-u) However, with Floquet boundary conditions, you must include a phase shift in the expressions: Constraint expression: linext1(u)-u*exp(i*phase_shift) Constraint force expression: test(linext1(u)*exp(i*phase_shift)-u)

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 set 2011, 09:31 GMT-4
Yes, it works! Thanks a lot!
Yes, it works! Thanks a lot!

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 feb 2012, 09:09 GMT-5
Hello,

Could somebody explain me why in the constraint expr 'exp(i*phase_shift)' is multiplied with 'u' while in the constraint force expr 'linext1(u)' should be multiplied by this phase shift? Should the phase shift not be multiplied with the same variable?

see:
Constraint expression:
linext1(u)-u*exp(i*phase_shift)

test(linext1(u)*exp(i*phase_shift)-u)

The answer to my question can possibly lie in the definition of this mysterious test-function, which I do not find and do therefore not understand.

Bruno
Hello, Could somebody explain me why in the constraint expr 'exp(i*phase_shift)' is multiplied with 'u' while in the constraint force expr 'linext1(u)' should be multiplied by this phase shift? Should the phase shift not be multiplied with the same variable? see: Constraint expression: linext1(u)-u*exp(i*phase_shift) Constraint force expression: test(linext1(u)*exp(i*phase_shift)-u) The answer to my question can possibly lie in the definition of this mysterious test-function, which I do not find and do therefore not understand. Bruno

Seid Mohamadali Sadat

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 apr 2012, 13:35 GMT-4
I'm trying to use this in wave equation module, but the result is not changing when I apply this. can you please share a model?
I'm trying to use this in wave equation module, but the result is not changing when I apply this. can you please share a model?

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 apr 2012, 23:44 GMT-4
i just deleted my post
i just deleted my post

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mag 2014, 07:38 GMT-4
May I ask that what the operator linext1 in "linext1(u)" stand for ?
May I ask that what the operator linext1 in "linext1(u)" stand for ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.