Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Turn off a hotplate permanently (Permanently change a variable)

Bjarne Christian Hagen

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I have a hotplate that I want to turn off permanently when it reaches 230 °C, and I need some help. I have a heat input of 285 W and a Domain Point Probe ppb1 that measure temperature.
I have tried q = 285*(ppb1<=230 [degC]) …. This works fine and turn the hotplate off at 230 °C, BUT as the hotplates cools and gets a temperature below 230 °C the hotplate turns on again.

What I need is an expression saying:
a = 1
if ppb1>230[degC]
a=0
end
q = 285*(ppb1<=230 [degC])*a

Can someone help me? Point me in the right direction?

Best regards
Bjarne

1 Reply Last Post 10 mar 2015, 08:54 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bjarne Christian Hagen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 10 mar 2015, 08:54 GMT-4
Dear Bjarne,

You will find the approach outlined here helpful:
www.comsol.com/blogs/implementing-a-thermostat-with-the-events-interface/

Best,
Dear Bjarne, You will find the approach outlined here helpful: http://www.comsol.com/blogs/implementing-a-thermostat-with-the-events-interface/ Best,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.