Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Open Comsol 4.0 file in 3.5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
Does Comsol 4.0 have a 'Save As' option to be able to save and open the file in 3.5 format? I am debating which one of them to get for my research lab, and I need this piece of information to make a choice. Thanks.

Sowmya

7 Replies Last Post 16 giu 2010, 17:04 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 giu 2010, 13:31 GMT-4
You don't have to decide, as if you buy Comsol 3.5a you are entitled to have comsol 4 as well. Comsol sales are usually very flexible and are on the customer side.*

Nevertheless, Comsol 4 is not backward compatible in the sense to export the model back to C3.5 AFAIK.

* I'm not linked to Comsol in anyway
You don't have to decide, as if you buy Comsol 3.5a you are entitled to have comsol 4 as well. Comsol sales are usually very flexible and are on the customer side.* Nevertheless, Comsol 4 is not backward compatible in the sense to export the model back to C3.5 AFAIK. * I'm not linked to Comsol in anyway

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 giu 2010, 15:17 GMT-4
Hi

indeed COMSOL as many other software is not backward compatible, at least not 4 to 3.5, but as this product has strongly evolved, well what should one expect. I have other major software doing the same, so I have to accept it.

What I find more regrettable, and I got some nasty remarks even today from a major client because I could not provide him wih my models so he could load them into is FEM tool (one with an A) to build a complete model of the product.

I find it regrettable that there is not a "neutral" file format for general FEM data exchange, clear everything cannot ne echanged, but most FEM programmes could share some 80%, or more, of common data and that would already be a great help.
Most companies today cannot work alone, we must share, especially the SME's, so for me this should be put on the list of desired of important features. Now here again COMNSOL is not very different dfrom the other FEM tools I have used, few if any are really open to exchange.

Still, have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi indeed COMSOL as many other software is not backward compatible, at least not 4 to 3.5, but as this product has strongly evolved, well what should one expect. I have other major software doing the same, so I have to accept it. What I find more regrettable, and I got some nasty remarks even today from a major client because I could not provide him wih my models so he could load them into is FEM tool (one with an A) to build a complete model of the product. I find it regrettable that there is not a "neutral" file format for general FEM data exchange, clear everything cannot ne echanged, but most FEM programmes could share some 80%, or more, of common data and that would already be a great help. Most companies today cannot work alone, we must share, especially the SME's, so for me this should be put on the list of desired of important features. Now here again COMNSOL is not very different dfrom the other FEM tools I have used, few if any are really open to exchange. Still, have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 giu 2010, 00:25 GMT-4
Ivar, Danial, thank you very much for your input.

Ivar, do you have any very simple tutorials (pipe flow for example) for Comsol 4.0? Since the interface is very different, a tutorial, much like the model documentation currently available online (suc as flow of Oldroyd-B fluid past a cylinder,etc) would be helpful. Thanks again.
Ivar, Danial, thank you very much for your input. Ivar, do you have any very simple tutorials (pipe flow for example) for Comsol 4.0? Since the interface is very different, a tutorial, much like the model documentation currently available online (suc as flow of Oldroyd-B fluid past a cylinder,etc) would be helpful. Thanks again.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 giu 2010, 02:32 GMT-4
Hi

Unfortunately, I do not have anything more than you, I expect, I have had not ime yet (and none for the coming month) to go systematically through V4, would like to though, and I'm not sure itwould be sain from me to take Comsol with me on holidays this summer, anyhow I do not have a licence on my laptop).

In a few weeks there will be an update of V4, I know COMSOL developpers are working very hard to port and to document all their examples, but they have so many of them !

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Unfortunately, I do not have anything more than you, I expect, I have had not ime yet (and none for the coming month) to go systematically through V4, would like to though, and I'm not sure itwould be sain from me to take Comsol with me on holidays this summer, anyhow I do not have a licence on my laptop). In a few weeks there will be an update of V4, I know COMSOL developpers are working very hard to port and to document all their examples, but they have so many of them ! Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 giu 2010, 16:17 GMT-4
Hello guys,

I have installed COMSOL ver4 on my laptop. However, I can't open the .mph files created in version 3.3. Is there a way to open them in ver4?

This file on COMSOL website is created with ver3.3 and I can't open it. Can you?

www.comsol.com/community/exchange/download/id/563/Dipole.mph

Thanks!

Nima
Hello guys, I have installed COMSOL ver4 on my laptop. However, I can't open the .mph files created in version 3.3. Is there a way to open them in ver4? This file on COMSOL website is created with ver3.3 and I can't open it. Can you? http://www.comsol.com/community/exchange/download/id/563/Dipole.mph Thanks! Nima

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 giu 2010, 16:29 GMT-4
Hi,

I seem to remember that there is a comment somewhere that a V3.3 should be opened first in a 3.4 or 3.5 and saved and then opened in 4. Slightly cumbersome, but that is the way today, might get better in a future release. The easiest is often to remake them in V4, provided you have the description how to.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi, I seem to remember that there is a comment somewhere that a V3.3 should be opened first in a 3.4 or 3.5 and saved and then opened in 4. Slightly cumbersome, but that is the way today, might get better in a future release. The easiest is often to remake them in V4, provided you have the description how to. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 giu 2010, 17:04 GMT-4
Thanks Ivar,

Looks very promising and in fact I did open it in ver3.4 and re-saved it. Now ver4 syas that it can't open files in versions before 3.5a. Do you have 3.5a?

Thanks a lot,

Nima
Thanks Ivar, Looks very promising and in fact I did open it in ver3.4 and re-saved it. Now ver4 syas that it can't open files in versions before 3.5a. Do you have 3.5a? Thanks a lot, Nima

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.