Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Prescribed Displacement in one direction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol-Users,

is it possible to prescribe a displacement only for the positive or negative part of one direction? In my Model an ontop metallization will induce thermal stress which leads to a deformation of the underlying substrate. But due to the poor adhesion of an additional intermediate layer in reality only stress with a negative sign in y-direction (2D-case) will lead to a deformation of the substrate. Now I wonder how to vanish the positive parts during the calculations?

Any ideas?

THX in advance,
André

4 Replies Last Post 6 mar 2015, 10:11 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 6 mar 2015, 04:55 GMT-5
Hi,

It seems to be essentially the same question as in

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/63221

The most straightforward way is to introduce Contact pairs between the layers.

Alternatively, you could use a Thin Elastic Layer with compression-only stiffness, but that may not converge well. In practice you would need some small stiffness in tension too, and a smooth transition.

Regards,
Henirk
Hi, It seems to be essentially the same question as in http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/63221 The most straightforward way is to introduce Contact pairs between the layers. Alternatively, you could use a Thin Elastic Layer with compression-only stiffness, but that may not converge well. In practice you would need some small stiffness in tension too, and a smooth transition. Regards, Henirk

Posted: 9 years ago 6 mar 2015, 06:00 GMT-5
Thanks Henrik for your quick answer and your suggestion. However, I tried to define contact pairs, but without success. There is no selectable boundary. Do you know a tutorial which explains how to introduce such a contact pair?

Maybe you want to have a look to my model. The contact pair has to be defined between the two lower rectangles.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
André
Thanks Henrik for your quick answer and your suggestion. However, I tried to define contact pairs, but without success. There is no selectable boundary. Do you know a tutorial which explains how to introduce such a contact pair? Maybe you want to have a look to my model. The contact pair has to be defined between the two lower rectangles. Thanks a lot and best regards, André

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 6 mar 2015, 09:54 GMT-5
In order to use Contact, you must use Form Assembly at the end of the Geometry sequence, so that the domains are not 'glued' to each other.

For examples of contact modeling, go to Model Libraries (in the File menu, for example). Search for "contact", and look at the results under the Structural Mechanics folder.

A Thin Elastic Layer can be used both on an internal boundary and on an assembly.

Regards,
Henrik
In order to use Contact, you must use Form Assembly at the end of the Geometry sequence, so that the domains are not 'glued' to each other. For examples of contact modeling, go to Model Libraries (in the File menu, for example). Search for "contact", and look at the results under the Structural Mechanics folder. A Thin Elastic Layer can be used both on an internal boundary and on an assembly. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 6 mar 2015, 10:11 GMT-5
You are right. I found how to define Contact Pairs together with Form Assembly, but than the stress of the top layer will not effect the bottom layer. Therefore I will try Thin Elastic Layer.
You are right. I found how to define Contact Pairs together with Form Assembly, but than the stress of the top layer will not effect the bottom layer. Therefore I will try Thin Elastic Layer.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.