Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plasmonic Resonance of Gold Nanoparticle

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all, I'm trying to model the plasmonic response of a gold nanoparticle in the presence of an electric field. I've got a model of a Au nanoparticle in a circular domain surrounded by PML layer and I've defined the background electric field, as well as Gold's dielectric permittivity as a function of wavelength.

At first glance, the model works, I get scattering and absorption cross sections that show a peak at ~520nm. However, the peak does not change position as the size of the nanoparticle is changed, as predicted by Mie Theory.

Are there any common mistakes that could lead to such a strange results?

I've attached the spectrum for three different sizes and the model.

Thanks!

6 Replies Last Post 12 apr 2017, 14:52 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ryan Freeman

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago 11 ago 2016, 11:38 GMT-4
Hi,

I am also to do Plasmonic Resonance of Gold Nanoparticle.
But I can not do the 200nm gold nanoball, can you share your model.
I used the RF model in 5.2. I find a example `` Optical Scattering Off a Gold Nanosphere in 5.2``.
but I use the Gaussion beam as back ground field. I font the relsistive losses in not a shell.

Hi, I am also to do Plasmonic Resonance of Gold Nanoparticle. But I can not do the 200nm gold nanoball, can you share your model. I used the RF model in 5.2. I find a example `` Optical Scattering Off a Gold Nanosphere in 5.2``. but I use the Gaussion beam as back ground field. I font the relsistive losses in not a shell.

Posted: 8 years ago 11 ago 2016, 14:29 GMT-4
It's been a while since I've looked at these simulations, but I've attached 3 files that may be helpful.

I modeled the sphere simply as a starting point, and then did most of my work on a different geometry, so most of the files I have are for other geometries.

I can't promise that these .mph files will work properly, but maybe they can be of help.
It's been a while since I've looked at these simulations, but I've attached 3 files that may be helpful. I modeled the sphere simply as a starting point, and then did most of my work on a different geometry, so most of the files I have are for other geometries. I can't promise that these .mph files will work properly, but maybe they can be of help.

Posted: 7 years ago 20 feb 2017, 01:50 GMT-5
Hi Ryan,

Can you simulate plasmonic resonance now?

I'm learning about it, and saw your discussion, could you please send me a basic example to simulate SPR on a AuNP?

Thank you so much!
Hi Ryan, Can you simulate plasmonic resonance now? I'm learning about it, and saw your discussion, could you please send me a basic example to simulate SPR on a AuNP? Thank you so much!

Posted: 7 years ago 21 feb 2017, 10:41 GMT-5
I haven't worked on the project in about a year I think...but I did make some progress while I was working.

Eventually, I got the simulations mostly working, but the spectra still looked a little odd (noisy and displaying some unphysical peaks). I attest most of the issues to under-meshing, but maybe there's some subtleties that I ignored.

Here's a basic simulation of a Silver nanoparticle. I couldn't find anything with Au nanoparticles.
I haven't worked on the project in about a year I think...but I did make some progress while I was working. Eventually, I got the simulations mostly working, but the spectra still looked a little odd (noisy and displaying some unphysical peaks). I attest most of the issues to under-meshing, but maybe there's some subtleties that I ignored. Here's a basic simulation of a Silver nanoparticle. I couldn't find anything with Au nanoparticles.

Posted: 7 years ago 12 apr 2017, 01:23 GMT-4
Hello Ryan,

Thank you very much for providing help. Can you please help me in simulating the multipoles decomposition for a Cu2O particle of radius 450 nm on Silicon and glass substrate???
Your help will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Hello Ryan, Thank you very much for providing help. Can you please help me in simulating the multipoles decomposition for a Cu2O particle of radius 450 nm on Silicon and glass substrate??? Your help will be really appreciated. Thanks

Posted: 7 years ago 12 apr 2017, 14:52 GMT-4
I'm sorry, I can't offer any advice and don't have time to do any more simulations.
I'm sorry, I can't offer any advice and don't have time to do any more simulations.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.