Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fatigue Analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm performing some tests as part of a University assignment and I was wondering if anybody knew of how to go about it.

The aim is to model complex structures of wire bundles and perform fatigue analysis on them. To try and determine how long these bundles will last during use, including axial, torsional and flexural movement.

Would this be modelled in the structural mechanics area?

Thank you in advance

If you would like more information, I can provide some if what I'm saying isn't coming across clearly.

2 Replies Last Post 11 ott 2010, 10:14 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 giu 2010, 01:37 GMT-4
Hi

Yes I would opt for the structural module, but your case has an extra difficulty, if you are talking about multi-wired tortional wrapped cables, you have the contact and friction sliding effects between the mutiple wires that probably should be added in by external equations. This is where COMSOL has some great extras as you can add your own physics.

In any case a very intersting issue, would be worth to keep us informed about your progress, here or at the COMSOL conferences

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Yes I would opt for the structural module, but your case has an extra difficulty, if you are talking about multi-wired tortional wrapped cables, you have the contact and friction sliding effects between the mutiple wires that probably should be added in by external equations. This is where COMSOL has some great extras as you can add your own physics. In any case a very intersting issue, would be worth to keep us informed about your progress, here or at the COMSOL conferences Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 ott 2010, 10:14 GMT-4
Hi David,

Can I ask how you got on with this? This analysis is the sort of thing I am interested in too, but unfortunately wasn't a comsol user at the time of your post! Do you have any models that I could maybe have a look at? I would appreciate that greatly!

Regards,

Chris
Hi David, Can I ask how you got on with this? This analysis is the sort of thing I am interested in too, but unfortunately wasn't a comsol user at the time of your post! Do you have any models that I could maybe have a look at? I would appreciate that greatly! Regards, Chris

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.