Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

comsol script compatibility 32 toward 64 Bits

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

a file (comsol with matlab with a graphical interface ) running perfectly in 32 bits yield the following error message

??? Error using ==> flgetsparse
Function "mxGetIr_700" is obsolete in file ".\compat32.cpp", line 264.
(64-bit mex files using sparse matrices must be rebuilt with the "-largeArrayDims" option.
See the R2006b release notes for more details.)

do i have to recompile the matlab file code source C with the mex function and a compiler ?
especially, which files where?

since i have the last version of matlab (R2010a) i believe that the 64 bits represention of array was activated by deffaut, do i have to change some stuff in my m file only?

thank you for any help from peoples who have already encountered this problem

8 Replies Last Post 10 gen 2012, 16:52 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Marc Jouan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 nov 2010, 09:24 GMT-5
Does anyone have a solution for this?

I have the same problem when applying the assemble() function. It worked well with Matlab R2008a (64-bit), but not with R2010a.
Does anyone have a solution for this? I have the same problem when applying the assemble() function. It worked well with Matlab R2008a (64-bit), but not with R2010a.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 nov 2010, 09:59 GMT-5
Hi

I would say that is worth to report directly to support too.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say that is worth to report directly to support too. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 dic 2010, 13:36 GMT-5
Anything new on this, because I can't figure this out? I am trying to export comsol model to simulink without success with Comsol 3.5a and Matlab 2010b.

BG,

Jyri
Anything new on this, because I can't figure this out? I am trying to export comsol model to simulink without success with Comsol 3.5a and Matlab 2010b. BG, Jyri

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 dic 2010, 14:31 GMT-5
I have the same problem.

I am using Matlab R2010b 64bit and Comsol 3.5a 64bit on Win7 64bit.
The script was written and executed using Matlab R2009b 32bit with Comsol 3.5a 32bit on WinXP 32bit.

It appears to me at a first glance that there is some MEX-files in Comsol that use coding incompatible to large array handling with 64bit. Therefore, the used MEX-files would need to be updated in order to work properly with 64bit.

Source: www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-5C27B9/?solution=1-5C27B9

So I have the impression that I need to fix files of the 64bit Comsol installation to make it work with 64bit and matlab. Shouldn't the people that get paid for the product fix it?

Best regards
Daniel
I have the same problem. I am using Matlab R2010b 64bit and Comsol 3.5a 64bit on Win7 64bit. The script was written and executed using Matlab R2009b 32bit with Comsol 3.5a 32bit on WinXP 32bit. It appears to me at a first glance that there is some MEX-files in Comsol that use coding incompatible to large array handling with 64bit. Therefore, the used MEX-files would need to be updated in order to work properly with 64bit. Source: http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-5C27B9/?solution=1-5C27B9 So I have the impression that I need to fix files of the 64bit Comsol installation to make it work with 64bit and matlab. Shouldn't the people that get paid for the product fix it? Best regards Daniel

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 dic 2010, 02:30 GMT-5
Hi

are you sure v3.5a was made compatible with a matlab 2010b ?
I would have expecteds a 2007 or 2008 at most, matlab has changed quite alot the last years too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi are you sure v3.5a was made compatible with a matlab 2010b ? I would have expecteds a 2007 or 2008 at most, matlab has changed quite alot the last years too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 dic 2010, 10:20 GMT-5
Hi Ivar

There is a hotfix for Comsol 3.5a to support MATLAB 2008b or 2009a:
www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol35a1/

In order to use Comsol 3.5a with MATLAB 2009b or 2010a an additional patch is necessary:
www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol35a3/

However, for me it solved the problem to downgrade from MATLAB 2010b (64bit) to MATLAB 2009b (64bit) without having the hotfix or the patch installed.

Best
Daniel
Hi Ivar There is a hotfix for Comsol 3.5a to support MATLAB 2008b or 2009a: http://www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol35a1/ In order to use Comsol 3.5a with MATLAB 2009b or 2010a an additional patch is necessary: http://www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol35a3/ However, for me it solved the problem to downgrade from MATLAB 2010b (64bit) to MATLAB 2009b (64bit) without having the hotfix or the patch installed. Best Daniel

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 dic 2011, 11:09 GMT-5
I installed the hot fix and the patch for 2010b (64bit) and it works
I installed the hot fix and the patch for 2010b (64bit) and it works

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 gen 2012, 16:52 GMT-5
I used the 64 bit win 7, 64 bit comsol 3.5a, 64 bit 2010a matlab,
I have the same problem
I used the 64 bit win 7, 64 bit comsol 3.5a, 64 bit 2010a matlab, I have the same problem

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.