Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

coupling of two phase free flow-Darcy flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello
Recently i have been trying to solve such a problem: how to couple free flow and Darcy flow for two phase fluid by Comsol in other to simulate the real situation of fluid flow freely near the permeable wall. I tryed to simulate the free flow (between two planes or in a pipe, etc) by phase field model and Darcy flow by two phase Darcy model. In the interface of the two models, we have to set three conditions: (1)tangential stress by using Beavior-Joseph-Saffman(BJS) boundary condition; (2)equal pressure; (3)equal velocity field. We can add the BJS condition by correcting the weak expression of Inlet pressure, no viscous stress. But how to constrain the equal pressure and velocity? By weak constraint, too? And how to solve the coulpling models is another problem. I want to solve it segregatedly. First solve the phase field model with the pressure constraint in the interface to get all other parameters like velocity and phase field variale. Then use the velocity obtained as the interface condition of Darcy model and to solve Darcy model to get a new pressure. Then go back to the first step to get the solution of the next time step. I know segregated solver will be a good choice. But does it solve the problem as the above sequence? I don't understand this solver's real theory. Thanks a lot if anyone can help me! It has perplexed me so long.

Thanks
Gao Bo

0 Replies Last Post 3 apr 2015, 03:41 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bo Gao

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.