Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error evaluating variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to model a heat transfer and mass diffusion process using the PDE module using the coefficient form and general form as function of "C" concentration and "T" temperature. However, keep getting the following error:

Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: u
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 1

Failed to evaluate expression
- Expression: u
- Plot: surf1 (Surface)

I am rather new with COMSOL Multiphysics. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

4 Replies Last Post 17 apr 2015, 09:22 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 13 apr 2015, 01:39 GMT-4
Hi

Your variables are C and T, there is no u. Look at the equations of your physics. Change the plotting variable.

Your global equations have variables vt and wt. What are they? I did not find them defined anywhere.

br
Lasse
Hi Your variables are C and T, there is no u. Look at the equations of your physics. Change the plotting variable. Your global equations have variables vt and wt. What are they? I did not find them defined anywhere. br Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago 14 apr 2015, 01:03 GMT-4

Hi,

I don't understand why it is looking for "u" if there is not "u" either. How do I change the plotting variable?

vt and wt are the accumulated heat and mass as function of time respectively.

Regards,
Ernesto

Hi

Your variables are C and T, there is no u. Look at the equations of your physics. Change the plotting variable.

Your global equations have variables vt and wt. What are they? I did not find them defined anywhere.

br
Lasse

Hi, I don't understand why it is looking for "u" if there is not "u" either. How do I change the plotting variable? vt and wt are the accumulated heat and mass as function of time respectively. Regards, Ernesto [QUOTE] Hi Your variables are C and T, there is no u. Look at the equations of your physics. Change the plotting variable. Your global equations have variables vt and wt. What are they? I did not find them defined anywhere. br Lasse [/QUOTE]

Posted: 9 years ago 14 apr 2015, 01:22 GMT-4
Hi

Just type T or C in the box where the variable to be plotted is defined. Usually in the PDE node "u" is the generic variable name. Why you have C and T beats me, an earlier Comsol version?

I do not see variables vt or wt defined anywhere, neither v or w (vt and wt would then be their time derivatives). Your Intop1 and Intop2 are identical.

br
Lasse
Hi Just type T or C in the box where the variable to be plotted is defined. Usually in the PDE node "u" is the generic variable name. Why you have C and T beats me, an earlier Comsol version? I do not see variables vt or wt defined anywhere, neither v or w (vt and wt would then be their time derivatives). Your Intop1 and Intop2 are identical. br Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago 17 apr 2015, 09:22 GMT-4
Hello,

I am using COMSOL 4.2. I added the parameters "u" and "u2" under the global parameter definition and it solved the problem.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Best regards,
Hello, I am using COMSOL 4.2. I added the parameters "u" and "u2" under the global parameter definition and it solved the problem. Thank you very much for your advice. Best regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.