Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

solar cell simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi... i am new in comsol. Can anyone help me to simulate a simple solar cell? I want to plot the I-V characteristic curve and evaluate the efficiency of the cell.

3 Replies Last Post 16 apr 2015, 10:05 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 13 apr 2015, 06:47 GMT-4
I am not sure why you want to do it in COMSOL, if you just need the IV curve and the efficiency.

However, I am not sure what you exactly want. You can simulate an actual cell, providing the materials. I suggest you can start with a basic structure, say a Cu bar and then increase the complexity.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Anup
I am not sure why you want to do it in COMSOL, if you just need the IV curve and the efficiency. However, I am not sure what you exactly want. You can simulate an actual cell, providing the materials. I suggest you can start with a basic structure, say a Cu bar and then increase the complexity. I hope this helps. Regards, Anup

Posted: 9 years ago 13 apr 2015, 07:37 GMT-4
Thanks for the reply.
I don't know whether its silly to say but I am struck in the 'Add Physics' interface. I am not sure which physics has to be selected for simulating solar cell. And how will I be able to get the output parameters i.e. voltage, current etc.? It will be great if you provide a proper guideline from the very beginning.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the reply. I don't know whether its silly to say but I am struck in the 'Add Physics' interface. I am not sure which physics has to be selected for simulating solar cell. And how will I be able to get the output parameters i.e. voltage, current etc.? It will be great if you provide a proper guideline from the very beginning. Thanks in advance.

Posted: 9 years ago 16 apr 2015, 10:05 GMT-4
I am also not very sure and I am also pretty new to COMSOL myself. You can check out various examples. I think you can see the example of the 3d Eddy Current Transformer coil and do accordingly. However, the model is in COMSOL 5.1 and I dont think you can open it. Read through the manual of the same. I hope you get a good idea. :)

Regards,
Anup
I am also not very sure and I am also pretty new to COMSOL myself. You can check out various examples. I think you can see the example of the 3d Eddy Current Transformer coil and do accordingly. However, the model is in COMSOL 5.1 and I dont think you can open it. Read through the manual of the same. I hope you get a good idea. :) Regards, Anup

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.