Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

workstation for comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

i plan on buying a new workstation for COMSOL 5.0. Area of research would be mostly acoustics in general with a wide range of different studies and up to sth like 10M DOFs. Its only possible to buy a workstation by our contract partner DELL, so i played a little with their configuration system. What do you think about it?

Configuration 1:
- Single Xeon E5-2667 v3 (8 cores, 3.2 GHz)
- 64 GB RAM (8x8), 2133 MHz,DDR4,ECC
- Windows 7 professional
- Nvidia Quadro NVS 315, 1GB
- 4 TB Harddisk, Raid 1
For approx. 3974 €

Configuration 2:
- Dual Xeon E5-2637 v3 (4 cores x 2, 3.5 GHz)
- 64 GB RAM (8x8), 2133 MHz,DDR4,ECC
- Windows 7 professional
- 4 TB Harddisk, Raid 1
For approx. 3708 €
The same total number of cores, but dual CPU and with more performance per core (3.5 GHz vs 3.2 GHz)

Configuration 3:
- Dual Xeon E5-2650 v3 (10 cores x 2, 2.3 GHz)
- 128 GB RAM (8x16), 2133 MHz,DDR4,ECC
- Windows 7 professional
- 4 TB Harddisk, Raid 1
For approx. 4759 €
Total number of cores is 20, but only 2.3 GHz and more RAM.

So basically what is more important? Number of cores or performance.
I have a CPU locked License, this should also run on a Dual CPU workstation right?

Also: Would it be necessary or wise to run Linux on this system? Id prefer to avoid it if possible, since my knowledge about it is limited.

Thanks for your input!

3 Replies Last Post 20 apr 2015, 10:09 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 19 apr 2015, 13:37 GMT-4
Here's my take, which is based on limited experience.

Running out of memory is going to be the biggest hit on your productivity so if you're running a browser concurrently with COMSOL, for example reading mail via yahoo or google, or perhaps you're also running Powerpoint to document results, or maybe you're running Acroread viewing graphics-intensive PDF's, those other apps are going to chew up a lot of it on their own, so you want to make sure you still have enough left over to throw at COMSOL. With that in mind going with more memory is rarely a decision that's going to be ever regretted.

If you're just running COMSOL and nothing else then it depends on the size and complexity of models and physics. I've been doing mechanical simulations of lumpy structures which have a lot of structural detail and those tend to demand a lot of memory: on my poor little 4GB system even killing all other optional Windows 7 processes I'm severely limited in my mesh density. If I were to buy my own system I'd definitely go for at least 16 GB.

For processors, it depends on how many threads you're running and/or how many concurrent instances of COMSOL you're running. So the answer of how many processors you need is harder to answer in general -- but if I had to choose between three systems, one with more cores, the second with more memory, the third with faster clock speeds, the "safe" answer is to go with the more memory, the 2nd best choice is likely more cores, and the faster clock speed only third. The faster clock will help with every simulation but only a small extent (speed of the memory is at least as important) but the memory can easily be deal breaker on whether you can run your model at all or in acceptable time. CPUs can help a LOT but only if you are able to use the added number: there's a saturation point.

So I leave it to others to flesh out more details but these are just my observations.

I don't know about Windows vs Linux and am interested in that myself. I want to say Linux is a lot more efficient but I'm not sure. I really like a good command line so am biased towards the Linux side but I understand the Windows provides better integration with things like spreadsheets and email, in particular "out of the box".
Here's my take, which is based on limited experience. Running out of memory is going to be the biggest hit on your productivity so if you're running a browser concurrently with COMSOL, for example reading mail via yahoo or google, or perhaps you're also running Powerpoint to document results, or maybe you're running Acroread viewing graphics-intensive PDF's, those other apps are going to chew up a lot of it on their own, so you want to make sure you still have enough left over to throw at COMSOL. With that in mind going with more memory is rarely a decision that's going to be ever regretted. If you're just running COMSOL and nothing else then it depends on the size and complexity of models and physics. I've been doing mechanical simulations of lumpy structures which have a lot of structural detail and those tend to demand a lot of memory: on my poor little 4GB system even killing all other optional Windows 7 processes I'm severely limited in my mesh density. If I were to buy my own system I'd definitely go for at least 16 GB. For processors, it depends on how many threads you're running and/or how many concurrent instances of COMSOL you're running. So the answer of how many processors you need is harder to answer in general -- but if I had to choose between three systems, one with more cores, the second with more memory, the third with faster clock speeds, the "safe" answer is to go with the more memory, the 2nd best choice is likely more cores, and the faster clock speed only third. The faster clock will help with every simulation but only a small extent (speed of the memory is at least as important) but the memory can easily be deal breaker on whether you can run your model at all or in acceptable time. CPUs can help a LOT but only if you are able to use the added number: there's a saturation point. So I leave it to others to flesh out more details but these are just my observations. I don't know about Windows vs Linux and am interested in that myself. I want to say Linux is a lot more efficient but I'm not sure. I really like a good command line so am biased towards the Linux side but I understand the Windows provides better integration with things like spreadsheets and email, in particular "out of the box".

Posted: 9 years ago 19 apr 2015, 16:07 GMT-4
Thank you.
Memory shouldnt be too much of a problem, since i got at least 64 GB in every configuration, based on the 4-8 GB RAM per core recommandation given by COMSOL. I ran simulations in ANSYS with 20M Nodes and those needed sth. like 50 GB of RAM so i think im safe here.

I also configured a System based on an I7 5960 (eight cores, 3 GHz) with 64 GB of very fast NonECC DDR4 RAM.
The RAM in the DELL configuration would be ECC DDR3 RAM. How important is ECC, given that the people using the workstation is limited to three, of whom i would use it 90% of the time. So, if an error accurs, i could simply restart the simulation. I ran a lot of simulations in ANSYS on a NonECC AMD Quadcore and never had any problems...
Also, such a system would be much cheaper (due to the cheaper CPU).
Thank you. Memory shouldnt be too much of a problem, since i got at least 64 GB in every configuration, based on the 4-8 GB RAM per core recommandation given by COMSOL. I ran simulations in ANSYS with 20M Nodes and those needed sth. like 50 GB of RAM so i think im safe here. I also configured a System based on an I7 5960 (eight cores, 3 GHz) with 64 GB of very fast NonECC DDR4 RAM. The RAM in the DELL configuration would be ECC DDR3 RAM. How important is ECC, given that the people using the workstation is limited to three, of whom i would use it 90% of the time. So, if an error accurs, i could simply restart the simulation. I ran a lot of simulations in ANSYS on a NonECC AMD Quadcore and never had any problems... Also, such a system would be much cheaper (due to the cheaper CPU).

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 20 apr 2015, 10:09 GMT-4
Hello Elias,

If you're sure that you will 64GB of RAM or less, then there is no advantage to the 128GB RAM machine (which is significantly more expensive)

The price difference between the other configurations seems to be less than 10%, and the performance difference will be quite similar, since for such models as you describe memory speed will be the most important, as Daniel appropriately points out.

With respect to OS: You should not expect significant performance differences between OS's.

Best Regards,
Hello Elias, If you're sure that you will 64GB of RAM or less, then there is no advantage to the 128GB RAM machine (which is significantly more expensive) The price difference between the other configurations seems to be less than 10%, and the performance difference will be quite similar, since for such models as you describe memory speed will be the most important, as Daniel appropriately points out. With respect to OS: You should not expect significant performance differences between OS's. Best Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.