Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I plot 1D-line along a self defined line?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hallo everybody,
I have modeled a concentration distribution in a cubic 3D-model and want to draw the trend along a self defined line. I tried to create a 1D-line under 1D-plot group and couldn't choose the beginning and end of the line (the line wasn't visible). A better option would be to define the coordinates of the 1D-line. Is this an option?

9 Replies Last Post 23 apr 2015, 04:50 GMT-4
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 21 apr 2015, 07:50 GMT-4
You can define a Parameterized Curve data set under Results > Data Sets and use it in the plot. If the curve is a line, then you can use a Cut Line data set instead.
You can define a Parameterized Curve data set under Results > Data Sets and use it in the plot. If the curve is a line, then you can use a Cut Line data set instead.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 21 apr 2015, 07:56 GMT-4
Natasja,

you can define a cut line dataset and use this dataset for the line plot. Or you can insert the line into the geometry.

Cheers
Edgar

Oops, Gunnar was quicker ..

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Natasja, you can define a cut line dataset and use this dataset for the line plot. Or you can insert the line into the geometry. Cheers Edgar Oops, Gunnar was quicker .. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 22 apr 2015, 06:21 GMT-4
Hi everybody,

I have defined the 3D cut line under results. Now it is possible to draw the line in my model but I wanna realize a course of my results (here: concentration) along a defined line. I have also used a 2D cut line but couldn't include this line in my model.
Attached you can find my model. I hope this would help you for better understanding!

Thanks a lot!

Nastasja
Hi everybody, I have defined the 3D cut line under results. Now it is possible to draw the line in my model but I wanna realize a course of my results (here: concentration) along a defined line. I have also used a 2D cut line but couldn't include this line in my model. Attached you can find my model. I hope this would help you for better understanding! Thanks a lot! Nastasja

Posted: 9 years ago 22 apr 2015, 06:40 GMT-4
Do as follows:
1. Add a 1D Plot Group.
2. Change the Data set in the plot group to the 3D cut line (Schnittlinie 3D 1).
3. Add a Line Graph to the plot group.
4. Plot.
Do as follows: 1. Add a 1D Plot Group. 2. Change the Data set in the plot group to the 3D cut line (Schnittlinie 3D 1). 3. Add a Line Graph to the plot group. 4. Plot.

Posted: 9 years ago 22 apr 2015, 07:51 GMT-4
Hi,
I have followed your instruction but it doesn't work.
Attached you can find my model with the applications of data processing.

Hi, I have followed your instruction but it doesn't work. Attached you can find my model with the applications of data processing.

Posted: 9 years ago 22 apr 2015, 08:35 GMT-4

Hi,
I have followed your instruction but it doesn't work.
Attached you can find my model with the applications of data processing.

This model doesn't contain any 1D plot group. Can you elaborate on in what way it didn't work?

[QUOTE] Hi, I have followed your instruction but it doesn't work. Attached you can find my model with the applications of data processing. [/QUOTE] This model doesn't contain any 1D plot group. Can you elaborate on in what way it didn't work?

Posted: 9 years ago 22 apr 2015, 09:42 GMT-4
Hi,
you can find under "results" > "dataset" > "cut line 1D" the defined cut line which dataset is choosen to "3D cut line". After I added this line under "results" > "concentration" (line 1), the cut line is shown but the profile along this cut line ( concentration along one axis) is not demonstrated. How can I draw the concentration course along this cut line?

Thanks and cheers

Nastasja K.
Hi, you can find under "results" > "dataset" > "cut line 1D" the defined cut line which dataset is choosen to "3D cut line". After I added this line under "results" > "concentration" (line 1), the cut line is shown but the profile along this cut line ( concentration along one axis) is not demonstrated. How can I draw the concentration course along this cut line? Thanks and cheers Nastasja K.

Posted: 9 years ago 22 apr 2015, 10:02 GMT-4
The concentration seems to be plotted correctly. It seems to vary between -6e4 and +6e4 along the line. I'm using Multiphysics 5.1, but I don't think that matters. What behavior do you see?
The concentration seems to be plotted correctly. It seems to vary between -6e4 and +6e4 along the line. I'm using Multiphysics 5.1, but I don't think that matters. What behavior do you see?

Posted: 9 years ago 23 apr 2015, 04:50 GMT-4
Yes, I also see a line which varies from -6e4 and +6e4. I want to plot a course or a trend in a 2D-coordinate system along the line. Is it possible to draw it?

Attached you can find a screenshot what I see.
Yes, I also see a line which varies from -6e4 and +6e4. I want to plot a course or a trend in a 2D-coordinate system along the line. Is it possible to draw it? Attached you can find a screenshot what I see.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.