Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Partitioning a Domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have created a 3D geometry that after generation becomes one domain. Now I want to assign initial values for part of the domain so I can use that for my transport solver of diluted species.

The geometry is curved and I cannot simply cut and split it by a 2D plane. I was thinking if there is anyways that I select surfaces or vertices on the geometry that can be used to split the domain into folds (Expressing the initial values by spatial function would be a heavy task because of the complicated geometry, heavier than making two separate geometries from scratch) .

Any advice please.
meisam

2 Replies Last Post 10 mag 2015, 07:51 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 8 mag 2015, 12:11 GMT-4
Hello,
You could partition using a working plane aligned with a face, for example.
If you cannot partition with a working plane because you need a curved surface to make the partition, you could first create a geometric object, and then partition using the object; in the attached file I've used a cylinder as the partitioning object.
-DW
Hello, You could partition using a working plane aligned with a face, for example. If you cannot partition with a working plane because you need a curved surface to make the partition, you could first create a geometric object, and then partition using the object; in the attached file I've used a cylinder as the partitioning object. -DW

Posted: 9 years ago 10 mag 2015, 07:51 GMT-4
Thanks! That solved it.
Thanks! That solved it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.