Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact types in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have recently switched from ANSYS to COMSOL, and I faced some questions regarding the different types of contacts in COMSOL.

Does any one know how to create a No Separation contact between two surfaces in COMSOL?

The two surfaces are not allowed to separate but they are allowed to slide a little bit (a very limited relative motion is allowed in between them).

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Sam

1 Reply Last Post 22 mag 2015, 11:29 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 22 mag 2015, 11:29 GMT-4
Hi,

The operation you want to do is not considered as a contact condition in COMSOL Multiphysics.

You can use an extrusion coupling to map some of the displacement components on one boundary to another boundary. The two sides do not need to have matching meshes.

An example of this technique can be found in the example deep_excavation in the Model Library/Application Library. Here is a link to the example: www.comsol.com/model/deep-excavation-9747

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, The operation you want to do is not considered as a contact condition in COMSOL Multiphysics. You can use an extrusion coupling to map some of the displacement components on one boundary to another boundary. The two sides do not need to have matching meshes. An example of this technique can be found in the example deep_excavation in the Model Library/Application Library. Here is a link to the example: http://www.comsol.com/model/deep-excavation-9747 Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.