Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal stress in welding

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, i am doing thermal stress simulation in arc welding using COMSOL 4.4. Firstly, i have used Heat transfer module to get the Temperature profile using Time dependent study. I have got the results matching as per the real time data. I defined the material properties as temperature dependent for Young's modulus, Poisson ratio, thermal conductivity, thermal expansion, specific heat, Initial yield stress, isotropic hardening function.
Further, i need to couple with Solid mechanics module. When i did using the Solid mechanics module, i made the option for Heat transfer ( X - not solve for) in 'Physics and variables selection'. But, the solver dint compute using temperature profile.
When i included Heat transfer module in time dependent study, the solver takes long time and gives warning as inverted mesh element in coordinates....... ( geometry is not complicated as i used 2 rectangular block joined as union with thickness 3 mm and mesh considered is normal - free tetrahedral), Finally gives error as last step not converged.
When i made it time dependent ( HT only ) and stationary study ( HT + Solid mechanics), giving error as 'undefined value found in the equation residual vector comp1.T.....Finally giving error..

I couldn't find a way to couple the temperature profile with solid mechanics and get the results in von mises stress and plastic deformation.

Please help me. Its really urgent and request give some guidelines on how to go ahead to get solutions. Please.............................................

1 Reply Last Post 4 giu 2015, 07:29 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 4 giu 2015, 07:29 GMT-4
Hi Basky,
Can I know how to define properties ( Thermal Conductivity, density etc) as temperature dependent. I request you kindly to help me.

With Regards
Vinayak S Matur
Hi Basky, Can I know how to define properties ( Thermal Conductivity, density etc) as temperature dependent. I request you kindly to help me. With Regards Vinayak S Matur

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.