Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Charged Particles Disappearing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm running a model the calculate the trajectories of electrons emitted from a filament and accelerated to an ionization chamber by the electric field produced by a voltage bias between the chamber the filament is in and the ionization chamber. The idea is to vary the distance from the filament to the ionization chamber and the voltage bias to see how the electron trajectories react. I have the charged particle tracing interface set up to uniformly produce 10000 electrons across all faces of the filament. For each computation that I've run, some number (that varies with each combination of the above parameters, but not in any pattern that I can understand) of the electrons seemingly disappear once the time becomes greater than 0. The total number of particles in the geometry stays constant at 10000, but the number of particles in the regions that I am interested in ( and the only regions the particles could possibly have gotten to in 0.06 ns) drops by between one third and two thirds. For instance, my last run had a voltage bias of 220V and a filament distance of less than two inches, and the number of particles in the relevant areas drops from 10000 at 0 microseconds to 3741 at 6e-5 microseconds for no reason that's apparent to me. I played with different wall conditions on the filament, but none made this strange disappearance go away. When looking at a 1000 particle sample of the particles' positions at 6e-5 microseconds (and the same particles at 0.03 microseconds, the max time value of the study), a good number ( probably about proportional to the number of missing particles) have NaN as their position making it seem like the particles were removed from the system. Those particles with NaN positions had real valued coordinates at 0 seconds.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone has a solution to this problem, or at least some ideas as to why this is happening.

3 Replies Last Post 26 nov 2016, 12:03 GMT-5
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 24 giu 2015, 10:59 GMT-4
Hi, the only way particle position degrees of freedom become NaN is if:
1. They encounter a "Disappear" condition on exterior walls.
2. If you specify a negative normal inlet velocity on an exterior boundary.
In case 2, the particles which you want to be enter the modeling domain, have a velocity which takes them out of the modeling domain in the first timestep. If this doesn't help fix the problem, perhaps you can attach a simple model which highlights the issue, or contact support@comsol.com.

Dan
Hi, the only way particle position degrees of freedom become NaN is if: 1. They encounter a "Disappear" condition on exterior walls. 2. If you specify a negative normal inlet velocity on an exterior boundary. In case 2, the particles which you want to be enter the modeling domain, have a velocity which takes them out of the modeling domain in the first timestep. If this doesn't help fix the problem, perhaps you can attach a simple model which highlights the issue, or contact support@comsol.com. Dan

Posted: 8 years ago 25 nov 2016, 14:21 GMT-5
Hi,

I have the same problem. Particles are just vanishing in the middle of the simulation. It is just an electric field through which ions are propagating.

Both cases above mentioned do not hold here. No wall they hit and a nice start from the inlet.

I attached a test model. One can follow the trajectories or look at the particle status in the table.

I would appreciate some help here.

Cheers,
Gero
Hi, I have the same problem. Particles are just vanishing in the middle of the simulation. It is just an electric field through which ions are propagating. Both cases above mentioned do not hold here. No wall they hit and a nice start from the inlet. I attached a test model. One can follow the trajectories or look at the particle status in the table. I would appreciate some help here. Cheers, Gero

Posted: 8 years ago 26 nov 2016, 12:03 GMT-5
Wow...that took ages to figure out, but here is the solution for my descendants.

I can actually add a third case for which particles might vanish in a simulation. Do not use the wall condition 'pass through' if you are having a 2D rotationally symmetric geometry. Instead, use the option 'bounce'. I think, theoretically, the outcome should be the same, but I guess the programm loses its particles when the radius somehow changes sign which actually cannot happen with this symmetry.

Anyway perhaps people in Sweden might want to have a look into that.

Cheers,
Gero
Wow...that took ages to figure out, but here is the solution for my descendants. I can actually add a third case for which particles might vanish in a simulation. Do not use the wall condition 'pass through' if you are having a 2D rotationally symmetric geometry. Instead, use the option 'bounce'. I think, theoretically, the outcome should be the same, but I guess the programm loses its particles when the radius somehow changes sign which actually cannot happen with this symmetry. Anyway perhaps people in Sweden might want to have a look into that. Cheers, Gero

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.