Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

total surface displacement for simple beam structure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings,

I am new to comsol.
I am trying to design a simple rectangular beam structure (fixed-end-beam),
to evaluate its resonant frequency and total surface displacement.
I am getting the resonant frequency but I can't get the total surface displacement.
I am using solid mechanics as the physics and eigenfrequency as the study.

I have tried reading several information regarding my problem in this forum, but I still have difficulties to understand it.

I am hoping that somebody can help me.

Thank you so much.

2 Replies Last Post 8 lug 2015, 17:57 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 8 lug 2015, 02:30 GMT-4
Hi

Are you doing an eigenfrequency analysis ?
As this solver is there to get the (Eigen)frequencies, but the amplitudes are arbitrary by "design", depending on the normalisation used (RMS by default) there are many threads discussing this, try a search.
An amplitude can only be found in Stationary or Time dependent if you know the load you apply on a given boundary: force, moment or pressure ...
or if its for a resonant frequency, then you need to add the true damping (something tricky to know and somewhat to define) and then you do a Frequency Domain Sweep to get the maximum amplitude for a given damping.
But none (or too low) damping means amplitudes tending towards INF and that is too tough to solve even for COMSOL ;).

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Are you doing an eigenfrequency analysis ? As this solver is there to get the (Eigen)frequencies, but the amplitudes are arbitrary by "design", depending on the normalisation used (RMS by default) there are many threads discussing this, try a search. An amplitude can only be found in Stationary or Time dependent if you know the load you apply on a given boundary: force, moment or pressure ... or if its for a resonant frequency, then you need to add the true damping (something tricky to know and somewhat to define) and then you do a Frequency Domain Sweep to get the maximum amplitude for a given damping. But none (or too low) damping means amplitudes tending towards INF and that is too tough to solve even for COMSOL ;). -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 8 lug 2015, 17:57 GMT-4
As Ivar stated, the displacement modes from an Eigenfrequency analysis gives the eigenfrequencies, but the displacements are relative, albeit normalized.
You must perform a new study and choose Frequency Domain as a preset study.
Then in step 1, and in the Frequencies space, type in a small range of frequencies around the eigen frequency that you are interested. Run the analysis and the default plots generated will chow you the correct (hopefully) surface displacements.
As Ivar stated, the displacement modes from an Eigenfrequency analysis gives the eigenfrequencies, but the displacements are relative, albeit normalized. You must perform a new study and choose Frequency Domain as a preset study. Then in step 1, and in the Frequencies space, type in a small range of frequencies around the eigen frequency that you are interested. Run the analysis and the default plots generated will chow you the correct (hopefully) surface displacements.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.