Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing problem - cavity formation and other errors.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to mesh the geomrtry in comsol, after going through some discussion topics here; I still couldn't not mesh the geometry. It has some very small edges which cause to firm the cavities, which I can't remove and also I got some errors as mentioned below,

1) - Features: Free Tetrahedral 1, Boundary Layers 1
Failed to generate mesh for domain.
- Domain: 1
Failed to respect boundary element edge on geometry face.
- Face: 14
- x-coordinate: -568.406
- y-coordinate: 440.693
- z-coordinate: -363.104
Internal error in boundary respecting.

2) sometimes I get "Intersecting face elements" error

can you please tell me how to overcome such Errors?

Regards,
Amit

2 Replies Last Post 2 nov 2015, 18:51 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 13 lug 2015, 14:49 GMT-4
Hi

that is a common issue (for all meshing software's ...) unfortunately I do not know about any other way than to remove these "small" features, particularly those you can rather easily tell they have no importance for the solution, such as most fillets and free-form silver edges.

COMSOL CAD and Design modules allows you to process your geometry further within COMSOL, if you do not have access to the CAD tool (I mostly work with SolidWorks, and spend quite some time simplifying and "splitting" my geometry therein before sending the Parasolid files to COMSOL, I find that the quickest way

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is a common issue (for all meshing software's ...) unfortunately I do not know about any other way than to remove these "small" features, particularly those you can rather easily tell they have no importance for the solution, such as most fillets and free-form silver edges. COMSOL CAD and Design modules allows you to process your geometry further within COMSOL, if you do not have access to the CAD tool (I mostly work with SolidWorks, and spend quite some time simplifying and "splitting" my geometry therein before sending the Parasolid files to COMSOL, I find that the quickest way -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 2 nov 2015, 18:51 GMT-5
Hi Ivar

I faced a similar problem too.
I built a geometry in Solidworks with multi-turns of coil, and imported into Comsol.
It meshed perfectly at first, but it failed when I add an air block covering the structure.
I tried to mesh it one by one, it always failed on the air block domain step which gave me an error "intersecting face elements"...

I don't quite understand 'simplifying and "splitting" my geometry' you mentioned, should I 'check' my geometry in SolidWorks?

Thanks
Hi Ivar I faced a similar problem too. I built a geometry in Solidworks with multi-turns of coil, and imported into Comsol. It meshed perfectly at first, but it failed when I add an air block covering the structure. I tried to mesh it one by one, it always failed on the air block domain step which gave me an error "intersecting face elements"... I don't quite understand 'simplifying and "splitting" my geometry' you mentioned, should I 'check' my geometry in SolidWorks? Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.