Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adding ripple on DC current

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I have a 2d axisymmetric core inductor and I need to check the ripple current that causes losses in the core.

My idea is to superimpose the ripple current on the DC source. Max allowed ripple is known.
And then change geometry/material to get desired total inductance.

But I don't know how to apply the AC ripple in to my model. I think I am on the right track, I use Magnetic Field (mf) and Electrical Cicuit (cir) physics. But I can only plot coil currents and voltage.

Thank you for any help

1 Reply Last Post 23 lug 2015, 11:35 GMT-4
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 23 lug 2015, 11:35 GMT-4
Hi,

If this analysis falls under the category of Small-Signal Analysis, you could do this as demonstrated in the following example:
www.comsol.com/model/small-signal-analysis-of-an-inductor-2128

Otherwise, you could setup a model using a Time Dependent study and excite with a current or voltage as the sum of DC and AC input.
For example: I = I_dc+I0_ac*sin(2*pi*freq*t[1/s])

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
COMSOL Employee
USA
Hi, If this analysis falls under the category of Small-Signal Analysis, you could do this as demonstrated in the following example: http://www.comsol.com/model/small-signal-analysis-of-an-inductor-2128 Otherwise, you could setup a model using a Time Dependent study and excite with a current or voltage as the sum of DC and AC input. For example: I = I_dc+I0_ac*sin(2*pi*freq*t[1/s]) Hope this helps. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee USA

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.