Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AC analysis on Helmholtz coils

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I have done a DC analysis of a pair of Helmholtz coils following the tutorial for them and now I would like to do an AC analysis to see the AC impedance, but when I add the study in frequency domain it all gets to heavy to run, I was wondering if I could use another mesh to help with that, if yes which one? I am currently using the free tetrahedral as in the Helmholtz coils tutorial

3 Replies Last Post 15 set 2015, 16:25 GMT-4
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 10 set 2015, 14:23 GMT-4
Hi Thais,

To solve the same model in Frequency Domain, you would need to input a small value for "Electrical Conductivity" in the air domain as well. Try with 0.1[S/m], for example. You could further reduced down this conductivity value until the model converged. The small value for electrical conductivity is need to avoid the singularity in the system matrix in Frequency Domain.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi Thais, To solve the same model in Frequency Domain, you would need to input a small value for "Electrical Conductivity" in the air domain as well. Try with 0.1[S/m], for example. You could further reduced down this conductivity value until the model converged. The small value for electrical conductivity is need to avoid the singularity in the system matrix in Frequency Domain. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 9 years ago 14 set 2015, 12:50 GMT-4
Thanks! Should I apply that only for the surroundings of the coils or to the coils as well? Because in the Helmholtz tutorial they set all the domains as air and then apply the Multi-turn coil domains to the coils.

Kind regards,
Thais
Thanks! Should I apply that only for the surroundings of the coils or to the coils as well? Because in the Helmholtz tutorial they set all the domains as air and then apply the Multi-turn coil domains to the coils. Kind regards, Thais

Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 15 set 2015, 16:25 GMT-4
Hi,

You would need to follow the same procedure as done in the Helmholtz Coils example. That is, apply air material to all domains with small conductivity and assign Multi-Turn Coil to the coil geometry.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi, You would need to follow the same procedure as done in the Helmholtz Coils example. That is, apply air material to all domains with small conductivity and assign Multi-Turn Coil to the coil geometry. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.