Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solve for scattered field - perturbation of the precise solution?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone!

I have a question about scattered field.

If I have background field and \some particles(or some another objects) in it.
I should than solve for scattered field.
But will it be a precise solution or just a perturbation?
What would be if I than put my solution as a new background field and try to solve problem again? Like *making a perturbation theory*

4 Replies Last Post 1 ott 2015, 05:58 GMT-4
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 25 set 2015, 15:53 GMT-4
Eugene,

Scattered field formulation gives you precise solution, not perturbation.
Total field (emw.Ex ) is a superposition of the background field (emw.Ebx) and scattered field (emw.relEx):
emw.Ex = emw.Ebx + emw.relEx

Regards,
Sergei
Eugene, Scattered field formulation gives you precise solution, not perturbation. Total field (emw.Ex ) is a superposition of the background field (emw.Ebx) and scattered field (emw.relEx): emw.Ex = emw.Ebx + emw.relEx Regards, Sergei

Posted: 9 years ago 26 set 2015, 02:41 GMT-4
Thanks a lot for your reply!

Although I have one more question then:
what will I get on my output? Total field? Or just scattered part of it?
Does it mean that I should add E_background and E_rel to get the whole solution or comsol does if for me?

Thanks a lot for your reply! Although I have one more question then: what will I get on my output? Total field? Or just scattered part of it? Does it mean that I should add E_background and E_rel to get the whole solution or comsol does if for me?

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 28 set 2015, 08:33 GMT-4
Eugene,

When you select “Scattered field” formulation under root node “Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain”, you need to specify “Background electric field”. There three options for Background wave type: 1) User defined; 2) Gaussian beam; 3) Linearly polarized plane wave.

Comsol calculated for you both total field and scattered field. You can find predefined variables for these fields under Equation View.

There are several examples in the Application Libraries with step by step instructions on scattered field formulation.

Regards,
Sergei
Eugene, When you select “Scattered field” formulation under root node “Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain”, you need to specify “Background electric field”. There three options for Background wave type: 1) User defined; 2) Gaussian beam; 3) Linearly polarized plane wave. Comsol calculated for you both total field and scattered field. You can find predefined variables for these fields under Equation View. There are several examples in the Application Libraries with step by step instructions on scattered field formulation. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 9 years ago 1 ott 2015, 05:58 GMT-4
Dear Sergei,

Thanks a lot for your attention to my question!
You helped me a lot
Dear Sergei, Thanks a lot for your attention to my question! You helped me a lot

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.