Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatics boundary condition in PDE form

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am interested in electrokinetics and I would like to set my own boundary condition in Electrostatics physics. The problem is the boundary condition is defined as a PDE.

I know I can define a boundary PDE in the Mathematics physics, but I do not know how to tell COMSOL the dependant variable of that PDE is my electrical potential in Electrostatics physics.

To give you a better view, I would like to implement this equation as a boundary condition:¨
sigma * d(Phi, y) = i * omega * C_dl * (Phi - V), where sigma, omega and C_dl are constants, i is an imaginary unit, Phi is electric potential (which is the same as Electrostatics "physics" potential - V3) and V is potential applied to the electrode. This means the potential Phi will be different then the potential V3 applied to the electrode. I would like to use this equation to simulate electric double layer problem.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me a tip on how to implement such a boundary condition, because I am lost now... :(

Thanks everyone!

Cheers
Filip

0 Replies Last Post 28 set 2015, 06:40 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Filip Prochazka

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.