Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D Electrostatic Force using AC/DC Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to COMSOL and want to calculate the electrostatic force of an object surrounded by two electrodes. I have looked through other posts here to help get a working model however the force I am calculating does not match the values in a published journal paper whose results I am trying to replicate. I suspect that either my boundary conditions or the way I am calculating the force is incorrect and if I could get some feedback I would really appreciate it.

I want to compute the electrostatic force as a function of the displacement of the object. I am doing this through a series of static analyses at various displacements and fitting a curve to the data (that is what they did in the paper). The profile of the curve is correct but the magnitude is not. My 2D model uses the AC/DC module consists of an object charged to 1V with two adjacent grounded electrodes.

The boundary conditions (excluding the standard ones) are:
1) initial value of 1V for surface of the object of interest
2) A terminal of 1V applied to the boundaries of the object
3) A force calculation for the object
4) A ground applied to the boundaries of the electrode

To compute the electrostatic force I am using a surface average for the object with the 1V charge. I have also tried surface integrals and line averages/integrals but the surface average gives me the closest result to the paper.

I've also attached my file. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thank you.

0 Replies Last Post 3 ott 2015, 18:49 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mark Pallay

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.