Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Launch a Gaussian beam on a interior surface of a 3D model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm trying to simulate a Gaussian beam shining on a finite size nanostructure, which is surrounded by PML. The Gaussian beam is launched on a interior surface and propagate along -z direction.

I have tried the settings in 2D model first and it works fine. But when I move to 3D and set all the domain to be air. I expect to see a Gaussian distribution. However, it did not give me the correct answer.

Can anyone provide me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Xinyuan

1 Reply Last Post 9 ott 2015, 08:36 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 9 ott 2015, 08:36 GMT-4
Unfortunately, I do not have time to take a detailed look at your model. But presuming that you did it all right with ports and the PMLs, I can tell you for a fact that gaussian beams are not the exact solutions of Maxwell equations in 3D geometries. However, in 2D they are. Therefore, I do not find it problematic that you got it fine in 2D but failed with one dimension extra. To me it just means that you are doing the physics right.
Unfortunately, I do not have time to take a detailed look at your model. But presuming that you did it all right with ports and the PMLs, I can tell you for a fact that gaussian beams are not the exact solutions of Maxwell equations in 3D geometries. However, in 2D they are. Therefore, I do not find it problematic that you got it fine in 2D but failed with one dimension extra. To me it just means that you are doing the physics right.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.