Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid Structure Interaction with Contact

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to simulate a reed valve combining a fluid-structure interaction model with contact (i.e. the reed closing). I have been successful so far simulating the fluid-structure interaction of the reed and the fluid and modeling the contact problem separately, but haven't been able to combine the two. It seems that the FSI condition overrides the contact constraint.

Any suggestions? or example models?

6 Replies Last Post 17 lug 2013, 12:22 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 set 2010, 16:22 GMT-4
I am trying to do the same in 4.0. By selecting the fsi module, you automatically setup certain defaults that are in conflict with the contact option. The fluid-solid interaction region will be written over when you declare these surface to be contact surfaces. Therefore, you have to re-insert the fluid surface load using using boundary load. Also, it seems like some prescribed mesh displacement for some surface is set to zero and this causes contact surfaces to go through each other. With limited success, I am able to run an fsi problem with contact. However, in many instances I am getting inverted mesh elements. So I am having convergence issues. I will be contacting COMSOL support group soon.
I am trying to do the same in 4.0. By selecting the fsi module, you automatically setup certain defaults that are in conflict with the contact option. The fluid-solid interaction region will be written over when you declare these surface to be contact surfaces. Therefore, you have to re-insert the fluid surface load using using boundary load. Also, it seems like some prescribed mesh displacement for some surface is set to zero and this causes contact surfaces to go through each other. With limited success, I am able to run an fsi problem with contact. However, in many instances I am getting inverted mesh elements. So I am having convergence issues. I will be contacting COMSOL support group soon.

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mar 2011, 10:39 GMT-5

I have the same problem during my modeling in 3.5a. What do you mean about "re-insert the fluid surface load using boundary load" ?
[QUOTE] I am trying to do the same in 4.0. By selecting the fsi module, you automatically setup certain defaults that are in conflict with the contact option. The fluid-solid interaction region will be written over when you declare these surface to be contact surfaces. Therefore, you have to re-insert the fluid surface load using using boundary load. Also, it seems like some prescribed mesh displacement for some surface is set to zero and this causes contact surfaces to go through each other. With limited success, I am able to run an fsi problem with contact. However, in many instances I am getting inverted mesh elements. So I am having convergence issues. I will be contacting COMSOL support group soon. [/QUOTE] I have the same problem during my modeling in 3.5a. What do you mean about "re-insert the fluid surface load using boundary load" ?

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 giu 2013, 15:38 GMT-4
Hi,
I'm also trying to model a fluid structure interaction with contact (also in the case of a beating reed).
Contact pairs seem difficult to define.
Did you make any progress? Have you any advices for me?
Thanks
Hi, I'm also trying to model a fluid structure interaction with contact (also in the case of a beating reed). Contact pairs seem difficult to define. Did you make any progress? Have you any advices for me? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 giu 2013, 15:55 GMT-4
I was unable to get the "contact" feature to work along with FSI; however, you can simulate the effect by adding in a large "spring" load to the surface that comes in contact. I don't remember the exact function, but add in a force such that F = K*X with a large K (simulating a large contact stiffness) and X as the displacement variable (only apply this to the reed closing, i.e. X < some small gap length).

Did that make sense? I don't have time at the moment to work out step-by-step directions and I have not attempted this in a 3-D case, but I had it working for 2-D and could probably make up an example later this week.

Note that:
1.) You need to apply the force such that the valve does not close fully. COMSOL can't handle redefining the domains like that (i.e. separating 1 fluid domain to 2).
2.) This is probably not an accurate way to model contact forces. If you are just concerned about the fluid flow that shouldn't be an issue, but don't use this method to do a stress analysis on your reed.
I was unable to get the "contact" feature to work along with FSI; however, you can simulate the effect by adding in a large "spring" load to the surface that comes in contact. I don't remember the exact function, but add in a force such that F = K*X with a large K (simulating a large contact stiffness) and X as the displacement variable (only apply this to the reed closing, i.e. X < some small gap length). Did that make sense? I don't have time at the moment to work out step-by-step directions and I have not attempted this in a 3-D case, but I had it working for 2-D and could probably make up an example later this week. Note that: 1.) You need to apply the force such that the valve does not close fully. COMSOL can't handle redefining the domains like that (i.e. separating 1 fluid domain to 2). 2.) This is probably not an accurate way to model contact forces. If you are just concerned about the fluid flow that shouldn't be an issue, but don't use this method to do a stress analysis on your reed.

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 giu 2013, 16:12 GMT-4
Thanks John
I'm more concerned about the fluid flow so I will try your solution.
If you could send an example that would be great!
Thanks John I'm more concerned about the fluid flow so I will try your solution. If you could send an example that would be great!

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 lug 2013, 12:22 GMT-4
John,

Your solution was very helpful because for a long time, I was in a trouble when I was using a contact pair in a FSI model. but still I don't know how to add in a spring between two boundaries which come in contact. Should I define forces (F=-K.X) on both boundaries? How can I calculate the distance between the boundaries? I guess by defining identity contact but don't know how. And finally the forces we put on a boundary works on that boundary not on an approaching boundary!!

I really really appreciate if you help me on this and give me a steps direction.
John, Your solution was very helpful because for a long time, I was in a trouble when I was using a contact pair in a FSI model. but still I don't know how to add in a spring between two boundaries which come in contact. Should I define forces (F=-K.X) on both boundaries? How can I calculate the distance between the boundaries? I guess by defining identity contact but don't know how. And finally the forces we put on a boundary works on that boundary not on an approaching boundary!! I really really appreciate if you help me on this and give me a steps direction.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.