Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling Boltzmann Transport equation in COMSOL using coefficient form of PDE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am modeling Phonon transport using Boltzmann transport equation.
Referring:
a. www.comsol.com/paper/nanoscale...tzmann-transport-equation-6408
b. www.comsol.com/paper/finite-el...ransfer-i​n-two-di-19319

As an initial case, I am simulating a 1D Geometry (line) with Dirichlet BC at the ends.
a. However, I am unsure on the implementation of the Discrete Ordinates method (using Gauss Quadrature)** - specifically the weights applied.
1. I have referred pomax.github.io/bezierinfo/legendre-gauss.html and www.nptel.ac.in/courses/112101001/downloads​/lec29.pdf to get the weights. However, these present apparently different values.

Would appreciate some insight into the discrete ordinates method implementation (it's weights) while using the PDE Coefficient form.
Attached is the model. A more detailed description is provided in the model root name (presentation section)
** I know that COMSOL does implement DOM method for Surface-Surface radiation model. However, although these equations (1D-BTE and radiative transport) are very similar, due to relaxation time approximation in BTE , I have to use PDE form.
If someone has solved BTE using built in surface-surface radiation model, I would be happy yo gain insights.
Thanks
Regards
Yash Ganatra

1 Reply Last Post 10 gen 2016, 21:42 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yash Ganatra

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 10 gen 2016, 21:42 GMT-5
dear Yash Ganatra,
your file " COMSOL_BTE_11_19.mph" canot be opened in comsol 5.1.
would you like to send us the file again?
Thank you very much !
Best wishes!
Apeng
dear Yash Ganatra, your file " COMSOL_BTE_11_19.mph" canot be opened in comsol 5.1. would you like to send us the file again? Thank you very much ! Best wishes! Apeng

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.