Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Basic steps in designing PCF in 4.3

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi ,
I have to design hexagonal PCF structure with 7 airhole rings with d=.75micrometer and pitch=1.45 micrometer for analyzing it characters like birifergence,dispersion,confinement loss, non linearity etc currently am using version 3.5, i want to update to version 4.3 .Can you please tell me the basic steps to be follow for getting effective refractive index using v.4?? or from where i can get these basic designing steps using comsol 4.3?
Hope someone can help me
Thank You

2 Replies Last Post 3 dic 2015, 11:56 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 3 dic 2015, 08:38 GMT-5
Hello Arun,
I'd recommend you jump to the current version, 5.2, rather than to the outdated 4.3, if you can. One reason is that version 5's GUI is closer in spirit to 3.5a's than version 4's, making your transition easier from that standpoint. Of course, another reason to go to the current version rather than 4.3 is that you'll benefit from the many features that have been added to the software in the last 3 years or so, including the Application Builder.
In any case, whether you go to 4.3 or 5.2, to get familiar with the new-to-you GUI I would recommend reading the "Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics" manual and working through the two tutorials it contains. Once that's done, you can work through one or two tutorials from the RF Module, such as this one www.comsol.com/model/step-index-fiber-145 before you build your own similar models. You can find such tutorials in the Applications Library, accessed through the File menu (It's called Model Library is 4.3)
Best,
Jeff
Hello Arun, I'd recommend you jump to the current version, 5.2, rather than to the outdated 4.3, if you can. One reason is that version 5's GUI is closer in spirit to 3.5a's than version 4's, making your transition easier from that standpoint. Of course, another reason to go to the current version rather than 4.3 is that you'll benefit from the many features that have been added to the software in the last 3 years or so, including the Application Builder. In any case, whether you go to 4.3 or 5.2, to get familiar with the new-to-you GUI I would recommend reading the "Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics" manual and working through the two tutorials it contains. Once that's done, you can work through one or two tutorials from the RF Module, such as this one http://www.comsol.com/model/step-index-fiber-145 before you build your own similar models. You can find such tutorials in the Applications Library, accessed through the File menu (It's called Model Library is 4.3) Best, Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 3 dic 2015, 11:56 GMT-5
Thanx for the advice Jeff .
currently i had V 4.3 wit me so planing to do in that only.
once new version is available i will surely try in that
Thanx for the advice Jeff . currently i had V 4.3 wit me so planing to do in that only. once new version is available i will surely try in that

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.