Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stress Error!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Sir,
I am working on energy harvesting. it's multilayer beam. when I apply load on edge... I can't find the stress on upper layer... iT's shown under the upper layer. Would you please tell me why this is happening?

2 Replies Last Post 23 dic 2015, 10:23 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 22 dic 2015, 01:47 GMT-5
Hi

It is not easy to understand what is really wrong, as it can be many things. COMSOL is rather complex, so it's easy to make errors, particularly in the beginning.
But it looks like your mesh is not fine enough, normally those shapes in the thickness tends to form for a too rough mesh, but as you have a multilayer beam (?), perhaps the continuity between the layers could also not be correctly set up. In union geometry mode, continuity is the by default setting, but i.e. not in assembly mode, if you happen to have selected that.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It is not easy to understand what is really wrong, as it can be many things. COMSOL is rather complex, so it's easy to make errors, particularly in the beginning. But it looks like your mesh is not fine enough, normally those shapes in the thickness tends to form for a too rough mesh, but as you have a multilayer beam (?), perhaps the continuity between the layers could also not be correctly set up. In union geometry mode, continuity is the by default setting, but i.e. not in assembly mode, if you happen to have selected that. -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 9 years ago 23 dic 2015, 10:23 GMT-5
I agree with Ivar, it looks there is a mesh issue that you have to resolve first. For a beam like that I would use a mapped mesh where you can control the number of elements through the beam thickness independently from the element size in the plane of the beam/plate.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
I agree with Ivar, it looks there is a mesh issue that you have to resolve first. For a beam like that I would use a mapped mesh where you can control the number of elements through the beam thickness independently from the element size in the plane of the beam/plate. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.