Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Force integral for airfoil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I managed to create a rotary machine for a turbine in a water flow (two blades for now). The turbine has a constant number of rotations per second, omega.
I would like to derive the netto force on each blade and multiply it by the radius of the turbine, to get the netto torque on the turbine shaft per blade.
However, I am not sure how to do this.
We need a line integral (it's 2Dimensional) of the pressure over the blade, to get a representation of the netto force on the blade.
The problem is that the blade rotates and I don't know which expression is needed for the normal vector (material or spatial).
Anybody kind enough to elaborate on this?
Thanks in advance,

0 Replies Last Post 12 gen 2016, 17:36 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jorn Broers

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.