Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling problem and LU factorization error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am modelling electrostatically actuated switch in Comsol 4.3. For this, I am coupling electrostatic+ moving mesh + solid mechanics physics. I have to find displacement in plate due to the applied voltage. So, I have applied the voltage on the top plate and grounded the bottom plate; for moving mesh, outer air boundary is considered. The Bottom plate and two ends of the top plate is considered as fixed and boundary load is applied to the top plate. But, after solving, an error message of ' out of memory during LU factorization'. Also, I don't know coupling has established or not as I am new in Comsol. Can anyone know how to apply boundary load.

Regard,
Vasudha

4 Replies Last Post 7 apr 2016, 23:41 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 19 feb 2016, 11:24 GMT-5
To get going on how to set up this type of model, see: www.comsol.com/model/electrostatically-actuated-cantilever-444 .
Best,
Jeff
To get going on how to set up this type of model, see: http://www.comsol.com/model/electrostatically-actuated-cantilever-444 . Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 22 feb 2016, 01:26 GMT-5
I saw this example, but it is solved with advanced version of Comsol and using electromechanical physics. I have Comsol 4.3, so I need to use electrostatics+moving mesh+solid mechanics to design electrostatically actuated switch, and I am finding difficulty in coupling electrostatic and solid mechanics.

With Regards,
Vasudha
I saw this example, but it is solved with advanced version of Comsol and using electromechanical physics. I have Comsol 4.3, so I need to use electrostatics+moving mesh+solid mechanics to design electrostatically actuated switch, and I am finding difficulty in coupling electrostatic and solid mechanics. With Regards, Vasudha

Posted: 8 years ago 7 apr 2016, 23:38 GMT-4
Hello,
Do you know of any example on how to couple electrostaics and solid mechanics using a classkit license (no electromechanics interface)? How can we couple displacement due to electrostatic attraction back into the electrstatic computation after displacement? Thank you
Hello, Do you know of any example on how to couple electrostaics and solid mechanics using a classkit license (no electromechanics interface)? How can we couple displacement due to electrostatic attraction back into the electrstatic computation after displacement? Thank you

Posted: 8 years ago 7 apr 2016, 23:41 GMT-4
Hi Vasudha, have you found out a way to couple these withiout the mems electromechanics interface? Thank you
Hi Vasudha, have you found out a way to couple these withiout the mems electromechanics interface? Thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.