Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Step function for battery module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello.

I would like to create a discharge and charge cycle by using a step function. It is for Li-ion battery.

I've managed to create only one pulse by define equation for discharge and charge:

disch_on step1((t_disch_stop-t)[1/s])
charge_on step1((t-t_disch_stop-t_ocp)[1/s])*step1((t_charge_stop+t_disch_stop+t_ocp-t)[1/s])

These equations create only one pulse but I would like to create several pulses. Could you please help me to go on with second step?

Thank you very much!

10 Replies Last Post 10 feb 2017, 17:31 GMT-5

Posted: 8 years ago 26 feb 2016, 01:55 GMT-5
Hi

I have kept on replying the pulse question with an equation I developed when I needed a long sequence of pulses. Please, see the attachment.

BR
Lasse
Hi I have kept on replying the pulse question with an equation I developed when I needed a long sequence of pulses. Please, see the attachment. BR Lasse

Posted: 8 years ago 26 feb 2016, 03:00 GMT-5
Thank you for your answer, Lasse.

Which "function form" is your equation applicable for? Could it be wave function with rectangular steps?
Thank you for your answer, Lasse. Which "function form" is your equation applicable for? Could it be wave function with rectangular steps?

Posted: 8 years ago 26 feb 2016, 04:23 GMT-5
My function produces a sequence of square wave pulses with an arbitrary pulse width and separation (i.e. duty cycle) and frequency. Multiplying it with something else, several types of periodical functions can be created; my functions simply goes on and off (1 or 0).

BR
Lasse
My function produces a sequence of square wave pulses with an arbitrary pulse width and separation (i.e. duty cycle) and frequency. Multiplying it with something else, several types of periodical functions can be created; my functions simply goes on and off (1 or 0). BR Lasse

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 26 feb 2016, 08:10 GMT-5
Hello Anna and Lasse,
I would like to point out a simpler way of doing this. It consists in using either:
a/ a Function of the "Waveform" type. Use this approach if the periodic signal is sinusoidal, triangular, square, or a sawtooth. See the attached file.
or
b/ a Function of the "Analytic" type with the "Periodic Extension" option checked on. Use this for other periodic signals. See the attached file, where the Analytic 1 function periodicizes the Interpolation 1 function.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Anna and Lasse, I would like to point out a simpler way of doing this. It consists in using either: a/ a Function of the "Waveform" type. Use this approach if the periodic signal is sinusoidal, triangular, square, or a sawtooth. See the attached file. or b/ a Function of the "Analytic" type with the "Periodic Extension" option checked on. Use this for other periodic signals. See the attached file, where the Analytic 1 function periodicizes the Interpolation 1 function. Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 26 feb 2016, 08:14 GMT-5
Thanks Jeff!
That also solves the question of the duty cycle.

BR
Lasse
Thanks Jeff! That also solves the question of the duty cycle. BR Lasse

Posted: 8 years ago 27 feb 2016, 06:25 GMT-5
Jeff and Lasse, thank you so much!
Jeff and Lasse, thank you so much!

Posted: 8 years ago 28 feb 2016, 03:52 GMT-5
Jeff, could you possibly send file applicable for 5.1 version? I tried to open your file with my Comsol without any success.
Jeff, could you possibly send file applicable for 5.1 version? I tried to open your file with my Comsol without any success.

Posted: 8 years ago 31 mag 2016, 12:00 GMT-4
Hi Jeff,

Could you please also send the attached file for COMSOL 5.1?
I also cannot open the file.

Kind regards,
Farnaz
Hi Jeff, Could you please also send the attached file for COMSOL 5.1? I also cannot open the file. Kind regards, Farnaz

Posted: 8 years ago 17 ago 2016, 23:31 GMT-4
Hi Jeff,

I would also be very happy to get your file for Comsol Version 5.1

Cheers, Vanessa
Hi Jeff, I would also be very happy to get your file for Comsol Version 5.1 Cheers, Vanessa

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 10 feb 2017, 17:31 GMT-5
Hello All,
When modeling a pulsed load, also consider if the load will turn on or off instantaneously. If you do expect abrupt switching between states, use the Events interface.
For a discussion about why, please see:
www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-a-periodic-heat-load/
Hello All, When modeling a pulsed load, also consider if the load will turn on or off instantaneously. If you do expect abrupt switching between states, use the Events interface. For a discussion about why, please see: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-a-periodic-heat-load/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.