Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Reducing the parasitic capacitance of device by adding ground plane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
1) First question regarding the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor (PPC). So , we encompass our capacitor within a large box and then compute it. So, the way I understand COMSOL computes the capacitance is that it calculates the total energy associated with the field and then gives us capacitance.
So, my query is, when we want capacitance between the plates only then does the software also include the energy of fringing fields? I think it should exclude those fringing fields. But, I am not sure!

2) Secondly, We have to specify ground and terminal boundaries to calculate the capacitance. So, in that case we will assign one of the plates some potential and zero to the other one.

So, Now I want to see what will happen to the intrinsic capacitance the parallel plate capacitor when I have two ground planes surrounding the plates of capacitor?They are not touching any of the plates.
Moreover, how do the add those ground planes? It should hopefully mitigate the intrinsic capacitance of PPC .
But I knew no way to add that condition, So added those ground planes to ground boundaries of capacitor. Which I think is wrong! And it increased the capacitor as I have increased the area of ground boundaries.
So, Please help me in this regard.

0 Replies Last Post 5 ago 2016, 22:04 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rohit Kumar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.