Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

error message

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am model a 2D lithium sulfur battery using the predifined Lithium material properties while i defined a blank material properties for Sulfur. Upon computing in Step2: Time depenent, i kept getting this error message....
Repeated error test failures. May have reached a singularity.
Time: 19.20186468016866
Last time step is not converged.
-Feature: Time-dependent Solver 1(Sol1/t1)

I would be grateful if anyone can tell me how to resolve this error.
Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 19 ago 2016, 21:04 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 19 ago 2016, 21:04 GMT-4
Hello,
I would re-run the solution using a time range that is just less than 19.2 seconds, which is the time where the transient solver has reached a problem.
You should be able to solve the model for time t=0 to t=19.1 since the problem was encountered at 19.2018...
Then you should inspect the transient solution for time 0 to 19.1 seconds and you may see the problem yourself. It could be due to many reasons, such as boundary condition or physics specification. Try to plot various quantities of interest at time t=19.1 and you will probably see the problem and be able to fix it in the model.

Sometimes this is caused by a change in boundary conditions at 19.2 seconds; this would be where you have time-dependent boundary condition, for example.

Another reason for this problem can be that some calculated quantity is reaching zero or 1/zero at 19.2 seconds, and this is causing a "singularity" for the solver.

-DW
Hello, I would re-run the solution using a time range that is just less than 19.2 seconds, which is the time where the transient solver has reached a problem. You should be able to solve the model for time t=0 to t=19.1 since the problem was encountered at 19.2018... Then you should inspect the transient solution for time 0 to 19.1 seconds and you may see the problem yourself. It could be due to many reasons, such as boundary condition or physics specification. Try to plot various quantities of interest at time t=19.1 and you will probably see the problem and be able to fix it in the model. Sometimes this is caused by a change in boundary conditions at 19.2 seconds; this would be where you have time-dependent boundary condition, for example. Another reason for this problem can be that some calculated quantity is reaching zero or 1/zero at 19.2 seconds, and this is causing a "singularity" for the solver. -DW

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.