Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AC/DC model: Matrix has zero on diagonal.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody.
I have to calculate the magnetic field around three cables.
The model I built simply includes the three straight conductors and air around them.
A small voltage difference is applied and the Electric Currents module is first run to compute the current flowing in each conductor.

After that I run the Magnetic Felds module, but Comsol returns the following error message:

"Failed to find a solution.
Matrix has zero on diagonal.
Returned solution has not converged."

I'v done many attempts to solve the problem changing the mesh, the way model geometry is built, and even the type of solver, without success.
Could anyone suggest aternative approaches?

Thanks

Massimo

4 Replies Last Post 20 mag 2013, 04:31 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Massimo Bechis

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 apr 2011, 13:59 GMT-4
I have this problem too.. Please help us to solve this error.
What part that we have to check and revise?

Regards,

Chatra
I have this problem too.. Please help us to solve this error. What part that we have to check and revise? Regards, Chatra

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 apr 2011, 08:23 GMT-4
Hi

why are you using those two physics, first of all the result from EC in your case is a constant current flow that you could easily enter directly into he MF, no need for the EC.

And if you really want to solve for both V and A, then use the MEF physics

There are some similar application names in 3.5

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi why are you using those two physics, first of all the result from EC in your case is a constant current flow that you could easily enter directly into he MF, no need for the EC. And if you really want to solve for both V and A, then use the MEF physics There are some similar application names in 3.5 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 nov 2011, 09:29 GMT-5
Hello,

you can just change the conductivity of the air domain to some small finite value compared to the used copper.

Best regards,
Mladen
Hello, you can just change the conductivity of the air domain to some small finite value compared to the used copper. Best regards, Mladen

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 mag 2013, 04:31 GMT-4
this method really works
this method really works

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.