Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Set different mesh size and track moving boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I am trying to simulate solidification and heat transfer at simplified 2-D level. There is a hot melt pool in the center of a thin metal film and the size of the melt pool changes as time goes by.

My questions are:

1. How to set fine mesh size in areas I am interested in and coarse mesh in "less important" areas?

2. How can I track the velocity (instant and average) of the moving boundary of the melt pool?

Thanks in advance

7 Replies Last Post 21 set 2012, 23:25 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 mag 2012, 16:21 GMT-4
Hi

check the doc about meshing, there are many manual mesh nodes you might add and combine to build your own meshing strategy.

for phase change and or level set methods I can only suggest to run a few of the models from the model library and see how it's done therein

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the doc about meshing, there are many manual mesh nodes you might add and combine to build your own meshing strategy. for phase change and or level set methods I can only suggest to run a few of the models from the model library and see how it's done therein -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 mag 2012, 17:26 GMT-4
Hi Ivar

Thank you for your help.

In the first question, I actually meant how to set fine mesh size for the area I am interested in and coarse mesh for "less important areas". Sorry for the confusion. Could you please give some suggestions?

Regarding the second question, do you mean that I should download more models other than models already in the library?

I have a model available for my simulation but I do not know how to extract exact data (position/displacement of a point vs. time), not only a plot, from the calculated results.

Thank you very much.
Hi Ivar Thank you for your help. In the first question, I actually meant how to set fine mesh size for the area I am interested in and coarse mesh for "less important areas". Sorry for the confusion. Could you please give some suggestions? Regarding the second question, do you mean that I should download more models other than models already in the library? I have a model available for my simulation but I do not know how to extract exact data (position/displacement of a point vs. time), not only a plot, from the calculated results. Thank you very much.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 giu 2012, 01:23 GMT-4
Hi

use the "size" node you might add several, the last ones overwrite the previous, so if you say first Size all coarse, then second size 2 domains fine, you will get your 2 fine and the others coarse. Size and dimensions apply to tha main nodew (in all generality) and as subnodes to specific mesh nodes, allowing you ot go far dowen into he details of a complex CAD model

Well anyhow update your model library, but then select a few (start simple physics increase complexity gradually, else you might get quickly lost in the many options/commands) then print out the PDF of you example and build the model from scratch, only later load the prepared COMSOL model and compare, if required, that is in my view the "best" way to learn

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi use the "size" node you might add several, the last ones overwrite the previous, so if you say first Size all coarse, then second size 2 domains fine, you will get your 2 fine and the others coarse. Size and dimensions apply to tha main nodew (in all generality) and as subnodes to specific mesh nodes, allowing you ot go far dowen into he details of a complex CAD model Well anyhow update your model library, but then select a few (start simple physics increase complexity gradually, else you might get quickly lost in the many options/commands) then print out the PDF of you example and build the model from scratch, only later load the prepared COMSOL model and compare, if required, that is in my view the "best" way to learn -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 giu 2012, 11:52 GMT-4
Thank you for your explanation.

Just one more quick question. Can I apply the "mesh method" you mentioned within one domain? Cause I tried to use the way you provided but it seems to me that the second one will just overwrite previous ones within one domain. Maybe I am doing it incorrectly though.

Also, thank you very much for your suggestions. I will definitely look into the model library.
Thank you for your explanation. Just one more quick question. Can I apply the "mesh method" you mentioned within one domain? Cause I tried to use the way you provided but it seems to me that the second one will just overwrite previous ones within one domain. Maybe I am doing it incorrectly though. Also, thank you very much for your suggestions. I will definitely look into the model library.

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 giu 2012, 14:02 GMT-4
Hi

there are some options in the "distribution" node that allows you to use functions for the distribution so you can have exp or log type vaiable size meshing, with orwithout symmetry.

You have also the refine, and the "box" refine, you select a region of a domain and box it with the mouse and the mesh will be refined locally, but that is really only for last resort manual "painting" of your mesh ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there are some options in the "distribution" node that allows you to use functions for the distribution so you can have exp or log type vaiable size meshing, with orwithout symmetry. You have also the refine, and the "box" refine, you select a region of a domain and box it with the mouse and the mesh will be refined locally, but that is really only for last resort manual "painting" of your mesh ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 giu 2012, 15:43 GMT-4
I will check that out. Thank you!
I will check that out. Thank you!

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 set 2012, 23:25 GMT-4
Hello!I am doing a similar example with you.I am also puzzled with the deformed geometry and moving mesh.can you send your model to me for learning.Thank you very much.
Hello!I am doing a similar example with you.I am also puzzled with the deformed geometry and moving mesh.can you send your model to me for learning.Thank you very much.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.