Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dielectrophoresis simulation in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I understand that the problem of Dielectrophoresis in Microfluidics can be solved by coupling Conductive media DC mode and Incompressible N-S mode. I have a problem to simulate the Electric potential and Electric Field in a 2D domain that represents a microchannel of 50 micron height with 4 microelectrodes (100 nanometer thickness) embedded at the centre. The voltage at the electrodes is alternated as 10V, -10V, +10V, -10V.

Does the COMSOL have any tutorial or mph files for solving microfluidic DEP problems?. It would be of great help if I can get an mph file or PDF tutorial on how to simulate Microfluidic DEP using COMSOL. I use version 3.4.

Also, I intend to calcuate particle DEP trajectories using COMSOL, is it possible?

Thanks and Regards,
Hari

10 Replies Last Post 20 mag 2014, 05:35 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 feb 2010, 16:10 GMT-5
Hi Hari,

I have been struggling to model the same problem for a couple of months without much success though. I found this paper (attached) from COMSOL conference which solves this problem but unfortunately I have not been able to find the model. This might be of some little help. Please keep me updated if you find any other useful resource.
Hi Hari, I have been struggling to model the same problem for a couple of months without much success though. I found this paper (attached) from COMSOL conference which solves this problem but unfortunately I have not been able to find the model. This might be of some little help. Please keep me updated if you find any other useful resource.

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 feb 2010, 05:42 GMT-5
Hi Ritu,

Thanks for the file. I will go through it and let you know if I get a soln.

Hari
Hi Ritu, Thanks for the file. I will go through it and let you know if I get a soln. Hari

Rajagopal Panchapkesan

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 nov 2010, 15:11 GMT-4
Hello,
I am just beginning to work on DEP simulation. I am performing simulation to see how nanoparticles in a suspended medium would behave under a array of electrodes. I am using both 3.5a and 4.

Please let me know if you can share a basic model with boundary conditions.

Raj
Hello, I am just beginning to work on DEP simulation. I am performing simulation to see how nanoparticles in a suspended medium would behave under a array of electrodes. I am using both 3.5a and 4. Please let me know if you can share a basic model with boundary conditions. Raj

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 gen 2011, 03:58 GMT-5
Hi,

Even I am trying to get something on DEP.
Have you got any tutorial or mph files for solving microfluidic DEP problems?.
Please let me know if there is any success.

Thanks and Reagrds,
Harsha
Hi, Even I am trying to get something on DEP. Have you got any tutorial or mph files for solving microfluidic DEP problems?. Please let me know if there is any success. Thanks and Reagrds, Harsha

Rajagopal Panchapkesan

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 gen 2011, 09:09 GMT-5
Hi,

I have still not figured out a method to simulate DEP without the mems module.

Raj
Hi, I have still not figured out a method to simulate DEP without the mems module. Raj

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 gen 2011, 07:17 GMT-5
Hi Raj,
Thank you for the reply.
may I know why you dont want to use mems module?

My mail ID: hellosimha at gmail dot com. Please let me know your mail ID. I would like to discuss more on this.

Thanks and Regards,
Harsha
Hi Raj, Thank you for the reply. may I know why you dont want to use mems module? My mail ID: hellosimha at gmail dot com. Please let me know your mail ID. I would like to discuss more on this. Thanks and Regards, Harsha

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 giu 2011, 12:13 GMT-4
Hi

I too am beginning to model DEP with Comsol and would like to know whether you've had any successes?
Hi I too am beginning to model DEP with Comsol and would like to know whether you've had any successes?

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 giu 2011, 12:13 GMT-4
Hi

I too am beginning to model DEP with Comsol and would like to know whether you've had any successes?
Hi I too am beginning to model DEP with Comsol and would like to know whether you've had any successes?

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 feb 2012, 11:54 GMT-5
Hi
So is it possible in MEMS module(in 3.5a)? How? please guide me?
Hi So is it possible in MEMS module(in 3.5a)? How? please guide me?

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 mag 2014, 05:35 GMT-4
Hi Hari,

Me I work on 4.3b, so I use the laminar flow module, solve it with a stationary solver to get the electric filed, then I have the electric currents module, that I solve with a frequency dependent solver and finally the particle tracing module with a time dependent solver.
For the particle tracking I then have a drag force coupled to the laminar flow module and a DEP force with the electric field inputs from the electric current inputs.
For your simulations, I would rather simulate them in 3D, since the electric fields will decay quickly with height, so the actual forces will be smaller. Furthermore you won't have z- components in your simulations, while you will have them in your devices, that will push the particles upwards.

best,
Sam
Hi Hari, Me I work on 4.3b, so I use the laminar flow module, solve it with a stationary solver to get the electric filed, then I have the electric currents module, that I solve with a frequency dependent solver and finally the particle tracing module with a time dependent solver. For the particle tracking I then have a drag force coupled to the laminar flow module and a DEP force with the electric field inputs from the electric current inputs. For your simulations, I would rather simulate them in 3D, since the electric fields will decay quickly with height, so the actual forces will be smaller. Furthermore you won't have z- components in your simulations, while you will have them in your devices, that will push the particles upwards. best, Sam

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.