3D Two Phase Flow with Moving Mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am trying to model a simple 3D model of a thin rectangular metal block going across a vat of resin as a function of a ramp over time. As I am not particularly interested in the deformation of the block, given that it is assumed to be rigid, I have "subtracted" the geometry of block from the air domain. As such, I am left with a vat of resin and a block of air with the "negative" of the block geometry, which is relatively simpler to mesh.

I am using the moving mesh function within COMSOL CFD to apply a Prescribed Mesh Displacement to the boundaries of the subtracted block geometry, which is a function of a ramp over time. I also selected the air and resin domain as the deforming domain, and applied some fixed boundary constraints to the exterior wall.

The expectation is that, as the block slides across the surface of the vat over time, the resin in contact at the bottom surface of the block will be dragged along. Additionally, it is expected that the resin will build-up at the front of the block, and also move sideways due to the viscosity of the resin. However, the moving mesh model does not show that representation, and instead shows a large build-up of resin at the front, which I suspect is due to a "pinned" wall condition which I cannot resolve. When enabling the laminar and two phase flow physics, the model does not solve, returning the error:

• Feature: Automatic Remeshing 1 (sol1/t1/ar1)
  • Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1) Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged.

I attach the model, hoping that I can get some advice please.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.