Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

simulating moving piston

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

There are 4 components in my model; blood, blood vessel, brain tissue, and piston

Blood and blood vessel are surrounded by brain tissue and piston crushes down brain tissue with 1mm depth.

When I used different software, I used prescribed displacement and divided one time step into several calculations so that I was able to see the movement of the piston during one time step and visualize stress and strain at each calculation.

But I assume that I cannot do it with comsol in the same manner.

Is there any ideas that I can let piston move 1mm and visualize strains while it is moving ?

Any help will be appreciative.

Jay

4 Replies Last Post 19 set 2013, 12:26 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 apr 2013, 01:49 GMT-4
Hi

but isn't this a typical FSI model, with contact, or easier with local pressure applied ?
Then you have the fluid flow, the solid and the ALE

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but isn't this a typical FSI model, with contact, or easier with local pressure applied ? Then you have the fluid flow, the solid and the ALE -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 apr 2013, 17:33 GMT-4
Ivar

I am a beginner of comsol and wondering if I need to use prescribed displacement for my model.

Jay
Ivar I am a beginner of comsol and wondering if I need to use prescribed displacement for my model. Jay

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 apr 2013, 01:33 GMT-4
Hi

if you are a beginner I would advice to start "simple" take one physics at the tme and make smaller separate models first, then once you master them try to combine them.

Also Constact is a tricky physics, often needing some more in depth tweaking tht you need to learn by doing, so if you can star witha prescribed displacement (and derive forces as reaction forces in the post treatment = Results section) it's easier. Another way is to impose boundary forces and measure the average displacement

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you are a beginner I would advice to start "simple" take one physics at the tme and make smaller separate models first, then once you master them try to combine them. Also Constact is a tricky physics, often needing some more in depth tweaking tht you need to learn by doing, so if you can star witha prescribed displacement (and derive forces as reaction forces in the post treatment = Results section) it's easier. Another way is to impose boundary forces and measure the average displacement -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 set 2013, 12:26 GMT-4
Ivar,

I am trying to simulate a moving piston in a cylinder. I started with simple geometries (2D rectangular). I tried two methods and both failed.

1. FSI module: for solid, using Prescribed Velocity (0.2*wv1(t)). A error massage "failed to evaluate spf.U ..." pops up soon after computation. (filed attached, moving piston.mph)

2. Moving wall: with laminar flow module, specify one wall as "Moving wall with y velocity as 0.2*wv1(t). But the computational results didn't show the wall moments. (filed attached, moving piston try2.mph)

I will grateful if you cold give me some advices on how to make the piston moves. Thanks for your help.

JInxiang
Ivar, I am trying to simulate a moving piston in a cylinder. I started with simple geometries (2D rectangular). I tried two methods and both failed. 1. FSI module: for solid, using Prescribed Velocity (0.2*wv1(t)). A error massage "failed to evaluate spf.U ..." pops up soon after computation. (filed attached, moving piston.mph) 2. Moving wall: with laminar flow module, specify one wall as "Moving wall with y velocity as 0.2*wv1(t). But the computational results didn't show the wall moments. (filed attached, moving piston try2.mph) I will grateful if you cold give me some advices on how to make the piston moves. Thanks for your help. JInxiang

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.