Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Control Mesh element distribution over the surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How is it possible to control the mesh element distribution over a surface (boundary) between two 3D domain? I know "Distribution" that is used to control the mesh element distribution over an edge in 2 and 3 D. But I want to control the distribution of mesh over the surface (boundary) of a 3D domain. [To clarify the problem take cylindrical waveguide with length 2*d and radius R and apply a circular boundary or surface (in my case vibrating plate with zero thickness, I am using Acoustic-shell interaction) at point d with radius R. Now how is it possible to apply extremely fine mesh over this surface and the remaining domains normal or coarse mesh]

5 Replies Last Post 30 apr 2013, 04:51 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 apr 2013, 13:01 GMT-4
Hi

you can set variables or parameters in the mesh "size" node under "custom mesh settings" there are some examples in the model library for an RF system where the mesh density is adjusted to the wavelength and indx of the material.

To remesh for different cases, you ned to use a Parametric Sweep node BEFORE your solver node in a study

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can set variables or parameters in the mesh "size" node under "custom mesh settings" there are some examples in the model library for an RF system where the mesh density is adjusted to the wavelength and indx of the material. To remesh for different cases, you ned to use a Parametric Sweep node BEFORE your solver node in a study -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 apr 2013, 16:24 GMT-4
Hi
thanks a lot for your response. But I think you did not get my main problem or may be I did not explained it well. I do not want to add parametric mesh or remesh my structure. want I want is : control the number of mesh (means increase the number of mesh) in a surface of adjacent two 3D object. (refer to my problem above) In fact In comsol there is meshing option by the name of "Distribution" and I emphasize that "Distribution" Icon in meshing, that increase the number or distribution of mesh over the edge of a 2D or 3D domain. Now I want two increase (control) the distribution of mesh only and only over a surface of a 3D object (not all of it). like what "Distribution" does for the edge of 3D Domain.
Thanks, If you could help me.
Hi thanks a lot for your response. But I think you did not get my main problem or may be I did not explained it well. I do not want to add parametric mesh or remesh my structure. want I want is : control the number of mesh (means increase the number of mesh) in a surface of adjacent two 3D object. (refer to my problem above) In fact In comsol there is meshing option by the name of "Distribution" and I emphasize that "Distribution" Icon in meshing, that increase the number or distribution of mesh over the edge of a 2D or 3D domain. Now I want two increase (control) the distribution of mesh only and only over a surface of a 3D object (not all of it). like what "Distribution" does for the edge of 3D Domain. Thanks, If you could help me.

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 apr 2013, 16:25 GMT-4

Hi

you can set variables or parameters in the mesh "size" node under "custom mesh settings" there are some examples in the model library for an RF system where the mesh density is adjusted to the wavelength and indx of the material.

To remesh for different cases, you ned to use a Parametric Sweep node BEFORE your solver node in a study

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi
thanks a lot for your response. But I think you did not get my main problem or may be I did not explained it well. I do not want to add parametric mesh or remesh my structure. want I want is : control the number of mesh (means increase the number of mesh) in a surface of adjacent two 3D object. (refer to my problem above) In fact In comsol there is meshing option by the name of "Distribution" and I emphasize that "Distribution" Icon in meshing, that increase the number or distribution of mesh over the edge of a 2D or 3D domain. Now I want two increase (control) the distribution of mesh only and only over a surface of a 3D object (not all of it). like what "Distribution" does for the edge of 3D Domain.
Thanks, If you could help me.
[QUOTE] Hi you can set variables or parameters in the mesh "size" node under "custom mesh settings" there are some examples in the model library for an RF system where the mesh density is adjusted to the wavelength and indx of the material. To remesh for different cases, you ned to use a Parametric Sweep node BEFORE your solver node in a study -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi thanks a lot for your response. But I think you did not get my main problem or may be I did not explained it well. I do not want to add parametric mesh or remesh my structure. want I want is : control the number of mesh (means increase the number of mesh) in a surface of adjacent two 3D object. (refer to my problem above) In fact In comsol there is meshing option by the name of "Distribution" and I emphasize that "Distribution" Icon in meshing, that increase the number or distribution of mesh over the edge of a 2D or 3D domain. Now I want two increase (control) the distribution of mesh only and only over a surface of a 3D object (not all of it). like what "Distribution" does for the edge of 3D Domain. Thanks, If you could help me.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 apr 2013, 01:11 GMT-4
Hi

I beleive we more or less understand each other ;)

I used the Szie node as example, but the dimension/ distribution node works too. Have you noticed you can set them up as global (alone high up, or as sub node to a given mesh node. You might also add several to have different densitites on different entities.

The only thin is that you MUST select the entities when you set up your mesh tree, the entities cannot be defined via variables.

But then you have also the" refinement" node that allows to select entities and make them finer , or select a "box of coordinates and make that volume finer

My only advise, start with lowest entity dimmension i.e edges first, then boundaries then domains when you set up your meshing strategy. Also if the boundaries or meshes makes loops (i.e. torus) and you geoemtry is complex, it's often worth to mesh one half end then the other, and be sure you volumes are cut up, i.e. along XY, YZ, XZ planes

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I beleive we more or less understand each other ;) I used the Szie node as example, but the dimension/ distribution node works too. Have you noticed you can set them up as global (alone high up, or as sub node to a given mesh node. You might also add several to have different densitites on different entities. The only thin is that you MUST select the entities when you set up your mesh tree, the entities cannot be defined via variables. But then you have also the" refinement" node that allows to select entities and make them finer , or select a "box of coordinates and make that volume finer My only advise, start with lowest entity dimmension i.e edges first, then boundaries then domains when you set up your meshing strategy. Also if the boundaries or meshes makes loops (i.e. torus) and you geoemtry is complex, it's often worth to mesh one half end then the other, and be sure you volumes are cut up, i.e. along XY, YZ, XZ planes -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 apr 2013, 04:51 GMT-4

Hi

I beleive we more or less understand each other ;)

I used the Szie node as example, but the dimension/ distribution node works too. Have you noticed you can set them up as global (alone high up, or as sub node to a given mesh node. You might also add several to have different densitites on different entities.

The only thin is that you MUST select the entities when you set up your mesh tree, the entities cannot be defined via variables.

But then you have also the" refinement" node that allows to select entities and make them finer , or select a "box of coordinates and make that volume finer

My only advise, start with lowest entity dimmension i.e edges first, then boundaries then domains when you set up your meshing strategy. Also if the boundaries or meshes makes loops (i.e. torus) and you geoemtry is complex, it's often worth to mesh one half end then the other, and be sure you volumes are cut up, i.e. along XY, YZ, XZ planes

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi.
For sure you were right. :)
Thanks a lot for your help.
It was solved.

[QUOTE] Hi I beleive we more or less understand each other ;) I used the Szie node as example, but the dimension/ distribution node works too. Have you noticed you can set them up as global (alone high up, or as sub node to a given mesh node. You might also add several to have different densitites on different entities. The only thin is that you MUST select the entities when you set up your mesh tree, the entities cannot be defined via variables. But then you have also the" refinement" node that allows to select entities and make them finer , or select a "box of coordinates and make that volume finer My only advise, start with lowest entity dimmension i.e edges first, then boundaries then domains when you set up your meshing strategy. Also if the boundaries or meshes makes loops (i.e. torus) and you geoemtry is complex, it's often worth to mesh one half end then the other, and be sure you volumes are cut up, i.e. along XY, YZ, XZ planes -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi. For sure you were right. :) Thanks a lot for your help. It was solved.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.