Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL 4.4 is not compatible with MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

COMSOL 4.4 can not run on the MAC OSX 10.10 . Can someone solve the problem. or the only thing we can do is waiting the update3 or new version or new version of Yosemite?

Thanks.

25 Replies Last Post 10 nov 2014, 02:02 GMT-5
Atanas Kumbarov COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 giu 2014, 04:46 GMT-4
Hi Yong,
COMSOL will support this operating system when it is officially released.

Best regards,
Atanas Kumbarov
Hi Yong, COMSOL will support this operating system when it is officially released. Best regards, Atanas Kumbarov

Posted: 10 years ago 16 ott 2014, 19:34 GMT-4
Yosemite is out today and it is still not compatible with comsol. Please fix this.
Yosemite is out today and it is still not compatible with comsol. Please fix this.

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 04:23 GMT-4
We now have instructions and a patch for installing and running COMSOL 4.4 Update 2 on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. You can find the instructions at www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol44p3

Note that COMSOL 5.0 works out of the box on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

Best regards,
Atanas Kumbarov
We now have instructions and a patch for installing and running COMSOL 4.4 Update 2 on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. You can find the instructions at http://www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol44p3 Note that COMSOL 5.0 works out of the box on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Best regards, Atanas Kumbarov

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 05:06 GMT-4
Which day the COMSOL 5.0 will be released?

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 05:11 GMT-4

I don't have an exact date but it will be very soon.

Best regards,
Atanas Kumbarov
[QUOTE] Which day the COMSOL 5.0 will be released? [/QUOTE] I don't have an exact date but it will be very soon. Best regards, Atanas Kumbarov

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 07:47 GMT-4
Hello,

I need to instal the update 2 because I just installed the update yosemite. But I am using the floating license of my university (EPFL).
To download the COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz I need to give you my license, but I don’t have any, because I only have to be connected on the wifi of my university or in vpn to be able to use comsol.
I’m working on my master thesis, and it is very urgent. Can you give me an access to this file please.

Best regards,

Nathan Douet
EPFL
Hello, I need to instal the update 2 because I just installed the update yosemite. But I am using the floating license of my university (EPFL). To download the COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz I need to give you my license, but I don’t have any, because I only have to be connected on the wifi of my university or in vpn to be able to use comsol. I’m working on my master thesis, and it is very urgent. Can you give me an access to this file please. Best regards, Nathan Douet EPFL

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 07:50 GMT-4
Ok, I manage to solve the problem.
I also have a .dat file, sorry for the previous message.
Ok, I manage to solve the problem. I also have a .dat file, sorry for the previous message.

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 08:08 GMT-4
I managed to download the update but I can manage to run the command...

When I have uncompressed the file should I replace manually the bin, doc, java and plugins files?

Reagards,

Nathan
I managed to download the update but I can manage to run the command... When I have uncompressed the file should I replace manually the bin, doc, java and plugins files? Reagards, Nathan

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 08:42 GMT-4

When I have uncompressed the file should I replace manually the bin, doc, java and plugins files?

Reagards,

Nathan

What error do you get?

Best regards,
Atanas Kumbarov
[QUOTE] I managed to download the update but I can manage to run the command... When I have uncompressed the file should I replace manually the bin, doc, java and plugins files? Reagards, Nathan [/QUOTE] What error do you get? Best regards, Atanas Kumbarov

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 08:49 GMT-4
I get no error if suppress the .gz of the command tar xvzf COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz.

But my Comsol is still not able to launch.

It is not clear in the instruction on the webpage.

"1.After the installation is complete, download the COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz file and place it in the COMSOL 4.4 Update 2 installation root directory."

In the file "COMSOL44" I have to create a file named "Update 2"? And uncompress the file COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz. in it?
Or I simply put everything in the folder updates?
I tried both and it does not work.

May you can tell me what am I doing wrong.

Best regards,

Nathan
I get no error if suppress the .gz of the command tar xvzf COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz. But my Comsol is still not able to launch. It is not clear in the instruction on the webpage. "1.After the installation is complete, download the COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz file and place it in the COMSOL 4.4 Update 2 installation root directory." In the file "COMSOL44" I have to create a file named "Update 2"? And uncompress the file COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz. in it? Or I simply put everything in the folder updates? I tried both and it does not work. May you can tell me what am I doing wrong. Best regards, Nathan

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 08:57 GMT-4
You just download the file and place it in the folder where you have installed COMSOL. If COMSOL is installed in /Applications/COMSOL44, you place the file there and then run the command. Sometimes Safari unpacks compressed files automatically upon download - if this happened to you too, you just skip the .gz part of the command and run 'tar -xvzf COMSOL44_osx1010.tar' without the quotes.
You just download the file and place it in the folder where you have installed COMSOL. If COMSOL is installed in /Applications/COMSOL44, you place the file there and then run the command. Sometimes Safari unpacks compressed files automatically upon download - if this happened to you too, you just skip the .gz part of the command and run 'tar -xvzf COMSOL44_osx1010.tar' without the quotes.

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 09:01 GMT-4
Much clearer !
Thank you very much, it works !

Best regards,

Nathan
Much clearer ! Thank you very much, it works ! Best regards, Nathan

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 11:47 GMT-4

So I have downloaded the folder but I do not understand the terminal part of this. I tried to put the .tar folder in my comsol4.4 application folder by dragging and dropping and then unpack it, but after unpacking it Comsol still did open.
[QUOTE] You just download the file and place it in the folder where you have installed COMSOL. If COMSOL is installed in /Applications/COMSOL44, you place the file there and then run the command. Sometimes Safari unpacks compressed files automatically upon download - if this happened to you too, you just skip the .gz part of the command and run 'tar -xvzf COMSOL44_osx1010.tar' without the quotes. [/QUOTE] So I have downloaded the folder but I do not understand the terminal part of this. I tried to put the .tar folder in my comsol4.4 application folder by dragging and dropping and then unpack it, but after unpacking it Comsol still did open.

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 12:11 GMT-4

Reagards,

Nathan

What error do you get?

Best regards,
Atanas Kumbarov

Nathan,
Did you replace the bin,doc, java, and plugin files in the comsol 44 applications folder?

Thanks,
Brandon
[QUOTE] [QUOTE] I managed to download the update but I can manage to run the command... When I have uncompressed the file should I replace manually the bin, doc, java and plugins files? Reagards, Nathan [/QUOTE] What error do you get? Best regards, Atanas Kumbarov [/QUOTE] Nathan, Did you replace the bin,doc, java, and plugin files in the comsol 44 applications folder? Thanks, Brandon

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 12:14 GMT-4
How do I navigate to the applications folder where my program is installed in terminal?
How do I navigate to the applications folder where my program is installed in terminal?

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 13:56 GMT-4

If COMSOL is installed in /Applications/COMSOL44, you type this command in the terminal in order to get there:

cd /Applications/COMSOL44

Best regards,
Atanas Kumbarov
[QUOTE] How do I navigate to the applications folder where my program is installed in terminal? [/QUOTE] If COMSOL is installed in [b]/Applications/COMSOL44[/b], you type this command in the terminal in order to get there: [i]cd /Applications/COMSOL44[/i] Best regards, Atanas Kumbarov

Posted: 10 years ago 17 ott 2014, 14:50 GMT-4
Thank you! This fixed everything. Now the code works.

-Brandon
Thank you! This fixed everything. Now the code works. -Brandon

Posted: 10 years ago 18 ott 2014, 13:37 GMT-4
Great. But I'm still running COMSOL 4.3b (which provides all the functionality we currently need), and we can't really afford the $$$ or time to upgrade. Does/will this tool help the rest of us still running other versions of COMSOL 4?

Instructions?

Do I have to drop back my version of the OS to keep COMSOL running on my Macs?
Great. But I'm still running COMSOL 4.3b (which provides all the functionality we currently need), and we can't really afford the $$$ or time to upgrade. Does/will this tool help the rest of us still running other versions of COMSOL 4? Instructions? Do I have to drop back my version of the OS to keep COMSOL running on my Macs?

Posted: 10 years ago 19 ott 2014, 15:10 GMT-4
Hello All
i also have problem to download COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz , i use a server to run comsol on Bauhaus university, i dont have any license file or serial number, so how can i download that file to run it on mac os x yosemite?
Hello All i also have problem to download COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz , i use a server to run comsol on Bauhaus university, i dont have any license file or serial number, so how can i download that file to run it on mac os x yosemite?

Posted: 10 years ago 20 ott 2014, 06:46 GMT-4

Hello All
i also have problem to download COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz , i use a server to run comsol on Bauhaus university, i dont have any license file or serial number, so how can i download that file to run it on mac os x yosemite?

Dear Rouzbeh,

COMSOL Support can help you to obtain your license number. Please resend your request to support@comsol.com or contact us via the support form at www.comsol.com/access/

Best regards,
Anders
[QUOTE] Hello All i also have problem to download COMSOL44_osx1010.tar.gz , i use a server to run comsol on Bauhaus university, i dont have any license file or serial number, so how can i download that file to run it on mac os x yosemite? [/QUOTE] Dear Rouzbeh, COMSOL Support can help you to obtain your license number. Please resend your request to support@comsol.com or contact us via the support form at http://www.comsol.com/access/ Best regards, Anders

Posted: 10 years ago 22 ott 2014, 10:22 GMT-4
Hi,

I'm running OSX 10.10 and I've applied COMSOL 4.4 Update 2 using the terminal commands. However, I am now receiving the following message when trying to start COMSOL:

The Comsollauncher executable launcher was unable to locate its companion launcher jar.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Edit: Nvm. Re-installing fixed the issue!
Hi, I'm running OSX 10.10 and I've applied COMSOL 4.4 Update 2 using the terminal commands. However, I am now receiving the following message when trying to start COMSOL: The Comsollauncher executable launcher was unable to locate its companion launcher jar. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks! Edit: Nvm. Re-installing fixed the issue!

Posted: 10 years ago 27 ott 2014, 14:05 GMT-4
I had the same Problem.
Install Java 8 Update 25:
download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/8u25-b17/jre-8u25-macosx-x64.dmg
I had the same Problem. Install Java 8 Update 25: http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/8u25-b17/jre-8u25-macosx-x64.dmg

Posted: 10 years ago 27 ott 2014, 14:05 GMT-4
Ups, think I was wrong.
After having installed Java 8U25 on another Mac I replaced folders bin, doc and plugins and got the same error message.
Then I put back the originals and again moved the new ones to the directory but this time by "uniting?" the folders (sorry, german os).
Now Comsol worked.
Ups, think I was wrong. After having installed Java 8U25 on another Mac I replaced folders bin, doc and plugins and got the same error message. Then I put back the originals and again moved the new ones to the directory but this time by "uniting?" the folders (sorry, german os). Now Comsol worked.

Posted: 10 years ago 30 ott 2014, 01:49 GMT-4
Could you tell me how to fix "The Comsollauncher executable launcher was unable to locate its companion launcher jar." ?
Could you tell me how to fix "The Comsollauncher executable launcher was unable to locate its companion launcher jar." ?

Posted: 10 years ago 10 nov 2014, 02:02 GMT-5

Please contact COMSOL Support for further questions regarding the COMSOL patch for Yosemite: www.comsol.com/support

Best regards,
Atanas Kumbarov
[QUOTE] Could you tell me how to fix "The Comsollauncher executable launcher was unable to locate its companion launcher jar." ? [/QUOTE] Please contact COMSOL Support for further questions regarding the COMSOL patch for Yosemite: http://www.comsol.com/support Best regards, Atanas Kumbarov

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.